Vegetarian

"Oh, poppet, don't cry. Everything's alright. No need to cry, love." Oliver tries to comfort Allen as he snuggles the crying boy close. They sit on Allen's bed with Matt standing a few feet away and François standing in the doorway staring into space.

What the hell is he possibly thinking about? The apocalypse?

"Allen, why are you crying?" Matt's demeanor turns dark, "Did someone hurt you?"

"N-no... it j-just... i-it's just..."

"Just what, Al?" Matt is starting to get worried.

"Those poor animals!" Everyone freezes in shock (and François finally starts paying attention). "This w-whole time! I was e-eat-" Allen starts to slightly gag. "Why do people k-kill them and, a-and, and..." He trails off into silence.

"You feel bad for the animals, poppet?"

"I-I don't wanna e-eat them!"

Matt blinks, "Allen, I like animals too, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop eating meat and become a vegetarian"

"I wanna be a vegetarian!"

"Baby" François scoffs under his breath before leaving the room.

"What an asshole."

"Matt, swear jar!" Oliver holds out the familiar jar. "I'll give you a discount though since I agree with you. François is a bit of a frog sometimes." He covers his mouth looking a little guilty as he says it. Only a little. Barely.

Okay, fine, he was giggling and smiling. Like a Japanese school girl.

"Anyway, love, you really want to be a vegetarian now?"

"Mm-hm! Definitely!" Oliver smiles reassuringly while patting his head.

"Well that's fine then~" he replies with a huge grin. "If you want to be a vegetarian, then you can be a vegetarian, my little poppet~"

Matt just sighs half contently and half done-with-this-shit. He drops a dollar in the swear jar, then shakes his head slightly and leaves the room. Allen and Oliver just chose to silently ignore him.

"And when I make those kinds of special cupcakes, I'll only give them to Mattie and François. I promise not to give them to you anymore." He waves a stern finger in the air, "And I never brake a promise, love!"

Allen hesitates... he is scared to ask about anything he had just heard. Instead of questioning, he nods in reluctant agreement while attempting an honest smile. A weak, nervous smile is all he can muster. Oliver doesn't seem to notice as he smiles brightly back at him.

Oliver then freezes, his smile fading in an instant. He leans in close to Allen's ear and whispers almost hastily, "But listen dear, it would be for the best if you didn't mention that last bit to Mattie and François." He pulls away fast and smiles wide again. Just, this time it is a bit different... It's almost... threatening? "Okay~"

Allen does not know if the last word was meant as a question or not, but he feels a strong urge to show that he complies. He smiles weakly again while nodding vigorously. "O-of course! Yeah, of c-course! It's our secret, man! I won't tell! No need to worry! I promise -and I won't brake this promise! -Not, not th-that I brake promises! That's n-not me style! My style! Not m-my style!" Dammit, now he's all sweaty and he tries desperately to hide his shaking palms. And is his eyebrow twitching? That fake smile is getting hard to keep.

Again, Oliver is totally oblivious. His smile changes again. It's back to its normal, giddy, overbearingly happy, non threatening self again. He lightly smacks his hand on Allen's back. Allen slightly flinches despite the obvious intention to be gentle. "Oh, good!~ I'm glad I can trust you, poppet~" there was not the slightest hint of sarcasm in his voice.

Allen lets out a sigh of relief. How did Oliver not find that even a little bit suspicious? Well, because he's Oliver... Allen knows that is the only explanation really.

Oliver gets off the bed and looks back down at Allen, "I best go shopping. We'll be needing some veggie-burgers I presume~" he smiles cheerfully as he heads out of the room.

Allen smiles back. This time a real smile, not forced. "Thanks mom." Allen freezes when he realizes what he said. Oliver looks back at him oddly from the doorway.

"Oh Allen. Sweetie, don't call me mom, I'm not a girl. But if you'd like, feel free to call me dad." Oliver smiles before leaving the room. Allen smirks. It's been decided. He shall now call Oliver mom. Not cause he thought of him that way, no of course not, it's totally because Oliver doesn't like it. That's all, really. Definitely no sarcasm here.

Oliver can be weird, annoying, and even scary sometimes, but other times, Allen had to admit, he's a pretty nice guy to have around. A nice mom-kinda-guy to have around.