Chapter 2

Dylan

I woke the next day feeling as if I had a hangover, but without the great night of drinking previously. I winced. Every inch of my body was sore, and half of it was bruised from the fight yesterday. I had always managed to keep my life as a hero separate from Siena, but it was getting and harder to do that as we grew up.

I staggered out of bed, nearly tripping over the clothes scattered in my messy room, and almost face planting over my textbooks stacked near my bed. I'm a law student at Columbia. Well, I would like to be a law student. Right now I'm studying for my undergrad in English, like Siena.

I walked into the bathroom, brushed my teeth, and took a quick shower. I knew Siena wouldn't be up yet; since we were kids I've always woken up before her.

I walked into the kitchen to make myself breakfast, and as I was setting the table and putting out pancakes and maple syrup, Siena walked in, looking tired and annoyed. Well, she looks like that about 90% of the time anyways.

"Is that one for me?" She asked, pointing to the other plate I had set out on the table.

I rolled my eyes. "No, it's for Winky the house elf who's hiding underneath my bed."

She scowled. "For all I know, Winky could be under there."

I sighed. "Whatever. It's too early for this right now, Can we just eat? We've got classes soon."

Her face lit up, well, as much as it could, at that. Siena loves her food. She sat down at the table, shoveling food into her mouth at lightning speed.

"Ya know, it's is a free country. You can breath in between bites." I laughed.

"Shut it, Henns. You know how much I like my food." Siena glared at me.

She glanced at her watch, and her eyes widened. "Shit! We gotta get a move on, or else we'll be late!"

I looked at my watch, realizing she was correct. I grabbed my books and threw them into my bag, then slipped my shoes on and grabbed my keys.

"Hey, Siena, we gotta go now!" I called.

"Just let me finish packing up!"

Siena appeared in the doorway, her hair brushed properly and a light amount of makeup on her face. She slung her bag over her shoulder and stepped past me into the car.

"You know, we're almost late every day to class. Don't you think we should skip the whole breakfast thing?" She asked.

"Absolutely not," I said, looking behind me as I backed out of the driveway. Driving into the city at this time was always hectic, and we needed tons of extra time to get there on time with traffic, and pick up our other friends. "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day."

"Hey, we picking up Jake today?" Siena asked. "We are picking up Calli."

Jake Morgan was my best friend. And definitely not the kind of guy you'd want to fall for. Unlike me, Jake was the classic player you read about in bad boy stories. I often teased him about coming straight out of Grease and being a T-Bird.

"Hey, Dylan, what's up?" Jake called, stepping onto the backseat and throwing his bag on the floor.

Soon after we picked up Jake, Calli, Siena's best friend, hopped into the car beside him. She took one look at him and sighed. "Dylan, why did we have to bring the thing along? It's perfectly pleasant here without him."

"Hey, it was fine here until the devil came along." Jake fired back. With her curly, frizzy red hair, the name was suiting to Calli.

"You know, I'd give you a nasty face but it looks like you've already got one." Calli retorted, smiling sweetly.