Chapter 27

You have to do bad things in order to become a hero. You have to make sacrifices.~John Barrowman

Dedicated to juliamaybegone for being one of the first people to comment on my fanfics. You deserve a special award for how sweet and amazing you are to everyone, this is for you!

Dylan

The panel slid over and revealed the next clue. I have to admit, at this point doing this over and over again was getting a bit repetitive, but what other choice did we have?

"The answer lies with the mark of this place, a groundbreaking structure that jutted into space. From all around those who came gaped, for the shape of the building was unusual, to say. You must find the leaf of the healing drink, the one whose name sounds like spring and always shrinks." Black Hawk read.

I scratched my head, and got up, pacing on the ice of the river. I had no idea. No idea at all. It wasn't like I just studied New York landmarks in my free time. I had a feeling these were only going to get harder and harder.

"The mark of this place." She muttered, tracing her fingers over the clue. It was damp, and covered in cracks. The metal was pretty old, to say the least. I walked over to her and crouched down, mimicking her actions. Ranking my brain proved nothing, and I decided to focus on the second part of the clue.

"The shape of the building was unusual." I said. "So we shouldn't be looking for buildings that are squares or rectangles." I said.

"That narrows it down to about another 300 buildings." She said, rolling her eyes. "It's New York. There's not exactly a shortage of weirdly shaped things around this city."

"But so far there have only been really famous landmarks." I pointed out. "So this must be a fairly famous unusually shaped building." I pressed a finger to my comm to turn it on.

"Hey." I said, running a hand through my hair.

"What's up?" Jake asked. I could tell he was in the middle of eating something.

"I need you to do a search for me. Can you look up all the pretty well known unusually shaped buildings in the city? And made the search confined to only things after 1940."

"Got it. Be back in a few." I heard his finger against the keyboard, and turned to the clue again, trying to figure out the ingredient for this one.

"The healing drink." Black Hawk said, this time getting up and pacing. "What the hell is that? Alcohol?"

"I don't think that's exactly what they were getting at." I declared.

"No? Really?" She claimed. She rolled her eyes. "Give me a break here. Christmas Eve's tomorrow, and I have to be somewhere." She grumbled.

"Don't we all?" I mentioned, peering at the words.

"Good point." She acknowledged. "I still haven't gotten my last present for my friend." She admitted. "I did the rest of the Christmas shopping in November, but I have no idea what to get him."

"Does he like to read?" I asked. "That's usually what I default to."

"Good idea. I'll just buy a bunch of books for him." She said. "Let's just get back to work."

Just then, my comm beeped, signifying that it had turned on.

"Dylan?" Jake asked, sipping his drink.

"What's up?"

"So I think I found your building." He revealed.

"What is it?" I questioned.