Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-Nine

It was killing me. Slowly, but surely.

Being away from Alex was tearing me apart.

I knew it was pathetic. I shouldn't have relying on him that much, I shouldn't have cared that much. But I did. And there was absolutely nothing I could do about it.

Time ticked by slowly, each minute painful, each second agonizing. I wasn't even waiting for anything - or at least I didn't think I was. Maybe I was waiting to see if he would magically appear on my doorstep with a bouquet of chrysanthemums and Godiva chocolates. I didn't know. I only knew I wanted him to come back.

We talked on the phone as much we could every day in a row after he left. We spent every second we could talking to each other, but it was never nearly enough. I was good hearing his voice, but it constantly reminded me of what wanted but could only have a piece of and at a distance at that. I tried to take advantage of the time I had with him then because after a couple of days he would be busy with classes and wouldn't have as much time to talk to me.

The doorbell rang and I groaned as I rolled out of bed. I wasn't feeling well but me and the gang were skipping just to have a day to ourselves. As I grabbed my phone and bag I did my best to smooth out the wrinkles in my nude silk shirt. They rang the bell again and I hurried out my room, keys in hand.

"I'm coming!" I yelled, slipping on my Dior aviators as they rang the bell once again.

"What took you so long!" Chloe shouted at me impatiently once I'd thrown open the door.

"Nothing, you just have no patience."

"Come on, ladies!" Taylor yelled from the driver's seat.

I closed my door and walked to Taylor's truck with Chloe. Today it was only me, Abby, Chloe, Taylor, and Braden. Mallory had last minute stuff she absolutely could not get out of, but she told us to go on without her. Chloe and Taylor sat in the front, I sat in the middle with Abby, and Braden sat in the back.

"Come on up here with us!" Abby urged Braden over the radio as Taylor rolled down my driveway.

"Yeah," I seconded. "Come up here with us."

"You look lonely back there!"

"If you insist," Braden smirked. He climbed up from the back and sat in between me and Abby. "Better?" he asked, putting an arm around my and Abby's shoulders.

"Much," Abby and I said simultaneously.

My phone rang and I put it to my ear without checking to see who it was.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Remember me?" Alex teased.

As soon as I heard his voice I smiled and relaxed.

"Hey, babe," I said. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Braden turn his head toward me a little. I lowered my voice and stared out the open window. "What are you doing?"

"Getting a cup of coffee in between classes."

"And why did you call me?"

"What do you mean?" he asked, sounding genuinely curious.

"I mean why are you calling me when I should be in school?"

"Ahh, I should be the one asking you why you aren't in school."

I rolled my eyes even though I knew he couldn't see me. "Hey, we're talking about you here."

"Okay, well, I wanted to talk to you."