Chapter 5

BTW mehendi means Henna....picture above

**********************************************************************

This morning i woke up to noises coming from outside my room. I get dressed. and then put some light makeup on.

I go down to find the house filled with people decorating it with flowers and things like that. I thought i was supposed to feel happy and excited to be getting ready for marriage but i felt nothing but nervousness.

" oh Nadia, come sit down for breakfast," Uncle calls to me when he notices me. Everyone else is seated around the table and the only seat left open is next to Zaid. He was looking at me. I awkwardly took a seat next to him and moved my chair a little away from him.

Trying to ignore his gaze, i turn to Uncle.

"Uncle i have college today...but i will be back before the guests arrive," I say. Uncle nods.

" who is driving you to college?" Zaid asks me. Surprised, I look up at him and then quickly drop my gaze.

" My friend is coming to pick me up," I answer without looking at him. Aisha and Kaaber are my closest friends. They are also twins and go to the same college as me. I told them about everything that has been happening and Kaaber was not happy about it.

I have known them since i was young and they know everything about my life.

" you have friends?...wow i am surprised," Zaid says.

Yes Zaid i do have friends but they are not fucking douchebags like you.

I so wanted to say that in his face but i knew it will be disrespectful when his parents are here. Without speaking, i finish my food and quickly head outside.

I saw Kabeer's car waiting in front of the house and i could also see Aisha next to him. I was about to close the door when Zaid walks out and i almost slammed the door on his face.

Maybe i should have done it.

Zaid looks toward the car and then turns to me.

" who's the guy?" he asks.

" none of your business," i snap back. I was about to walk away but he grabbed my arm and pulled me back. I look at him shocked.

" please let go of me," i say trying to free myself.

" i will drive you to school," he says and pulls me toward his car, he opens the door and waits for me to get in. Unwillingly i get in the car. He starts driving while i give him directions. Suddenly he stops the car.

" what happened?" i ask.

" i think my car broke down," he says.

But his car looks perfectly new and it is a mustang.

" what?! But i will be late...i only have 5 minutes until class starts and we are like 15 minutes away," i panicked.

" i am sorry i guess you have to walk," he says faking a sad face. I get out of the car and start walking. Then suddenly i heard honking behind me and turn around to see Zaid driving beside me.

" have a good walk," he says and drives away.

Arggh that stupid jerk he faked the whole thing just to make me late.

Shittt...i am so done today.
***********
After a tiring day at college, i arrive home. When i enter through the doorway, i saw Zaid he smirked once he saw me.

" how was the walk?"

" you fucking made me late on purpose and i got yelled at for disturbing the class so late," i say. I was angry.

" ..this is just the start," he says with a wink.

"Nadia...hurry we have to get you ready...the beauticians are here they are gonna get you ready," Aunt Risa says and pulls me to my room.

2 hours later, they are finally done with my makeup and made me stand in front of the mirror to look at myself. I looked amazing like i was a different person. They had done a good job. I felt something weird inside me.

Who is all this for?

Who is all these preparations for?

Who is going to admire me?

It obviously wasnt Zaid.

My eyes start to fill up with tears but i try to hold it back. Then Aunt Risa comes in to take me downstairs where there are so many people. The people who are going to apply my henna are already here and all the woman gather around me watching as the henna designers did their jobs.

Everyone was happy and talking and laughing but i wasnt part of that. I felt sad like i had nothing left inside me. I wonder how i will feel tomorrow when Zaid and i will be married.

Then Zaid walks in. I haven't seen him since i came back home.

He stops in his track and his eyes travel to me and they stop. I immediately look down because i felt embarrassed looking him. I could still feel his gaze on me and look up see him still looking at me like he is in a daze.

" Zaid...come help me hang up this picture that fell," Aunt Risa called to him. He nods and then turns back to give me a last glance and then walks away.