Chapter Two

The Sweet Taste Of Rejection
Nhica Moico
(Edited)

Be a part of the love club
Everything will glow for you
You'll get punched for the love club
For the love club.

I joined the club and it's all on
There are fights for being my best friend
And the girls get their claws out
There's something about hanging out with the wicked kids
Take the pill make it too ill
The other day I forgot my old address
I'm sitting pretty on the throne,
There's nothing more I want
Except to be alone.

The Love Club, Lorde

Chapter Two

In revenge, one must always know their opponents. Every Achilles, and every guilty pleasure. Secrecy is an ally in this game of cat-and-mouse; public humiliation as well. For the past few days, I was wallowing in the darkness and waiting for Jace, the wolf who thought he was clever, to make a move or emerge from the shadows. But I guess in order to rise from the ashes, one must let go of the ball-and-chain that constricts them. I am the serpent that's underneath the flower, and I'm going to strike. Harder than previously.

            “Are you ready?” he called, snapping me out of my reverie. I cocked my head towards Vincent, who was dressed in faded blue jeans and a crisp white shirt that suited him just fine. I beamed softly at him, grateful for everything he was doing for me tonight. As much as I detested Ashley's plan to set me up for a blind date, I needed a change in scenery. And besides, this restaurant was holy ground to the rich. It was the perfect place to set up camp--to settle down by the mouth of the lion's den.

            “Yeah, I just need to put my earrings on.” I said a little too giddily; reaching behind him to grab a pair of diamond earrings that I always kept on my pale vanity. Squeezing them onto my ears, I turned to Vincent.

            “Are you sure, you’re okay with staying tonight? I mean, you don’t have to babysit the kids if you don’t want to. I completely understand if you don’t want to because you’ve always babysat them over the years,” I murmured, being as genuine as I try to be around him.

            Vincent clasped his palms on my shoulders, and squeezed them tightly; a mischievous grin splayed on his lips. He met my gaze in the mirror, and assisted me in clasping a jeweled necklace around my neck. When he finished, he slapped his palms on my shoulders once again.

            “No, you deserve to have a break Ames. It’s been a long time since you went out by yourself. You’re always looking after Addie and Jesse. It’s time to have a break, and put yourself out there again.  Go have fun. But not too much fun, if you catch my drift.”

            Rolling my eyes, I patted his back and trotted out towards the living room as Vincent chuckled in the background. On the love seat, Jesse and Addie sat in Onesie foot pajamas with bowls of popcorn and feeble Crunch bars. I shake my head in disapproval, but nevertheless, a small smile is etched onto my lips. I give them both a peck on each cheek.

            “Don’t stay up too long, kids! Bedtime is in a half an hour, and not too many sweets, okay?” I called out, looking at my gold-encrusted watch. Ushering me out the door, I waved at Jesse and Addie and silently chuckled to myself as I recalled their mesmerized faces by SpongeBob and Patrick yelling in sync. I soon greet the warm chills of November and shuffle into the white limo that's parked in front of our driveway.

            This night will certainly be an interesting one.

            When we arrive at the expensive restaurant, I am derailed by press. The flash of translucent light smothers and suffocates me as I hobble out of my car, an usher doused in black and too much gel coming to my rescue. They constantly bombard me about details concerning the company's welfare, and instead of answering, I do what Vincent instructed me on doing; smiling and waving and appearing pleasant. Doing so, I shuffle towards the pristine  restaurant and exhale in relief when the golden doors shut behind me.