Chapter Eighteen

The Sweet Taste Of Rejection
Nhica Moico

Can't see where it's wandered to
But I know where it wants to be
I'm waiting patiently though time is moving slow
I have one vacancy and I wanted you to know that
You're the one designed for me
A distant stranger that I will complete
I know you're out there we're meant to be
So keep your head up and make it to me
And make it to me
So sick of this lonely air
It seems such a waste of breath
So much that I need to say
So much to get off my chest
I'm waiting patiently though time is moving slow
I have one vacancy and I wanted you to know that
Make it to me, Sam Smith 

Chapter Eighteen 

"Amy? Someone's here to see you" Shay knocked on the door before opening it and delivered the message. 

"Who is it?" I asked, putting the spreadsheet I was holding earlier. 

"I think it would be best to invite the person in" Shay smiled. She was radiating with lightness and something else that I couldn't quite put my finger on but it was something great and something had changed lately. After having a three months break from being my secretary, Shay came back glowing and smiling all the time. 

"You're glowing, Shay. Is there something you've been taking or something you're experiencing right now? I asked, and my eyes widened when I realized her stomach had a slight bump into it. "Are you pregnant?" 

Shay blushed and smiled, "you noticed? I wasn't planning on telling anyone yet but yes I am."

'Congratulations! How far away are you?"

"Two months, at least. My husband was very thrilled to know" 

"I bet! Are you guys going to find out the sex or keep it a suprise?"

"Surprise, probably. We're really excited to have our first child but we don't really mind whether it's a boy or a girl. Either way, husband's just going to teach it to play hockey" 

I laughed. I recalled Shay's husband's being obsessed with hockey as he'd come from Canada. Blessed his accent. "Hey, that's great. It's always good to get kids into sports instead of something they don't want to do" 

She nodded, and smiled once again. "I'd better leave you to it then. I'll invite your visitor in while you guys talk"

"Sure" I stood up and adjusted my pencil skirt. I was about to tidy-up my table when someone cleared their throat and I was even more surprised to see Jordan standing before me. Her face was bared with minimal make-up and my eyes widened. I had never seen her wear such less make-up in the past. Surely, there was something wrong with her?  

"Jordan, what a unpleasant surprise to see you here in my office" I said, coldly. Not warming up to the idea of seeing her again.

"I-I guessed you can say that" she stuttered. Jordan - stuttered? Was this day a dream or some form of illusion? "I apologize for just turning up and not making an appointment to see you"

I resisted the urge to walk to her and feel her forehead just in case she was sick or something. "Let's not play around, shall we? Why did you come here?" 

Jordan looked at me with such sadness and guilt that it took a gasp escaped from my lips. Did I hear her right? "You wanted to apologize for your past actions?" I laughed despite of the humourless situation we were both in. "Don't you think it's too late for that? Or perhaps, you wanted to come here and pretend you are sorry for your misbehaviour and steal Jace again from me?"

She shook her platinum blonde hair, "I didn't come here for that. I can assure you that I won't do anything to get Jace back to me. He doesn't want me anymore as he'd made sure of that. I'm here to ask for your forgiveness as I think I've redeemed. I went to rehab for months and I know it sounds unbelievable and crazy but I actually did. One of my counsellors said that in order to step forward, I must go back and apologize for my past behaviour to those I'd hurt. And you're one of them, Amy" 

She went to rehab? How did I not know this? Had she gone crazy and were spoon-feeding me lies? Again? I shook the mental thought aside and urged for the intruder to continue. I wanted to hear the full story before I make my own speech. I didn't want to judge without any evidence. 

"Go on. So you went to rehab and got some help from a shrink. Did you actually just woke-up today and said to yourself, 'today I'm going to say sorry to people I've hurt' and you expect us me - in particular to forgive you so you can take that last step forward? Step forward to where, Jordan? To becoming a home-wrecker? Oh, do correct me if I'm wrong. Haven't you already reached that level? Or perhaps there's another one and you are just dying to get to it" I didn't mean to be harsh and cold but every anger and fury soaked into the layers of my skin. 

"There are no more levels or labels I'm trying to aim for Amy. Everything has settled on me and I realized what I did was wrong and I didn't realized I've gone too far. I admit, I loved Jace too much that I did go any lengths as far as I could get him in the end. But I was wrong - mistaken - and I guessed when you are not the original, you always don't get whatever it was you're trying to get. I realized that you'd just end up hurt as well as those people you've tried hurting. An example of that is you Amy and Jace. You got married first and I became the mistress. I may have been the girl Jace was with before you guys engaged but that didn't mean I could barge into your marriage and wreck everything. Sure, Jace was furious and angry at his parents at first but realized it would be for his own good as well as his parents' to get married to a woman he was arranged with. I fed on Jace's hatred and used him to hurt you when I thought he was mine and chose me instead of you. But once again, I was wrong and at the end he came back into your open arms and never looked back. Never once again looked back after he found out that I cheated behind his back. And I am deeply, and body and soul sorry for what I did. I guess, this is me being redeemed after getting help from specialists but one thing I'd always wanted to do was become friends with you. I know, you're probably thinking I'm some pyscho; I may have turned into one but please Amy, accept my apology"

I was lost for words. I opened my mouth to utter a word out but nothing came out but a breathy sigh. I was too shaken up to even look at the woman in front of me. The girl Jace had always turned to whenever things became too much for him in our first marriage which had crumbled to pieces because of the lady in front of me. Rage shook me hard and tears threatened to escape but I blinked a few hard times to get rid of it and faced her again. "Some things are better unsaid and saying sorry isn't always the solution for such action, Jordan. Learn that but you can no longer earn my trust nor respect again"

I refused to crumble to pieces when Jordan looked at me with teary face and bolted out the door. I slid down my chair and took a shaky breath. Why did she have to come here and unravel my life again?

Hey guys! here is chapter eighteen and how do you guys thing of Jordan's confession? Was she truly saying the truth of could she be the one responsible for the phone call, and the car accident? Comment your thoughts below on the comment box and let me know. Massive thank you to everyone for supporting this book even though it's not edited and a very rough draft with loads of mistakes but thank you all! I owe you lot a bunch of oreos and gallons of milk. And apologies for short chapter

Instagram: nhicayousassybitch
Twitter: nhica0117

Enjoy!