Chapter Seven

The Sweet Taste Of Rejection
Nhica Moico

(Edited)

It's a little bit funny this feeling inside
I'm not one of those who can easily hide
I don't have much money but boy if I did
I'd buy a big house where we both could live

So excuse me forgetting but these things I do
You see I've forgotten if they're green or they're blue
Anyway the thing is what I really mean
Yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen

And you can tell everybody this is your song
It may be quite simple but now that it's done
I hope you don't mind
I hope you don't mind that I put down in words
How wonderful life is while you're in the world

Your Song, Ellie Goulding

Chapter Seven

                Temptation is the root of all sin, they say. An act of defiance as the body lulls the mind and seduces it with the vile, disgusting thoughts. Temptation is the lover to revenge, and creates the third wheel that betrays it. My intentions aren't as pure as I'd like them to be at this point, but the word Jace uttered sends delicious shivers up my spine as I recall it. Two vowels in the word, one syllable. You. I feel lightheaded and dizzy as I glared at Jace, my heart skipping a beat as I inwardly cursed myself for making the tension awkward and discomforting. I cleared my throat, and I looked at him directly in the eye. He was playing games with me and he knew how to get to me. He played his game extremely well. I continued glaring at him.

                "What did you just say?" I whispered, the words guttural and raw. They slipped out of my mouth harsh and cold and bitter, exactly the way I intended them to be. Jace's words threw me off guard as I replayed them in my mind like a broken record. I wasn't prepared for hearing this after two years of heartache and betrayal. What was his endgame now? Did he actually believe I was going to ceremoniously fall down on my knees and kiss his feet? Did he honestly I'd succumb to his cold, hellish level by loving the way that one cruel, sick syllable lolled off his tongue? Was that his sick, sadistic game?

                "I said, I want you" Jace said throatily, with a husky voice. It didn't help the fact that his words sent shivers searching for my spine; goose bumps erupting on my skin and making my skin tingle. The hair on the back of my neck rose instinctively. I wasn't going to fall for any of his words, but I couldn't stop replaying them. He was mocking me, he wanted me to believe him so he could lure me into doing something she didn't want to do. After a marriage of coldblooded hatred and violence, he wanted to reconcile. I inwardly laughed at my luck.

                "Aren't you going to say anything, Amy? Or are you stunned to hear me say I want yo--" he was cut off and appalled as my fist collided with his slightly stubble jaw. Caught off guard, Jace stumbled back; my subconscious not even acknowledging the pain that shot up my knuckles as a crackling sound resonated in the tense atmosphere. His words made me react and not think but at this point--I was done being the good girl everyone expected of me. Amy Smith was a human being, not a puppet they could play with. And it was about damn time he realized that.

                "Damn it, woman!" he cursed under his breath, his hand lifted up to touch his scarlet jaw that throbbed in pain. There was bruising and swelling, but I didn't care. I was angry, flustered, hot, scorned and deadly. I was an impending bomb about to blow.

                "What were you thinking? Punching me like that?" Jace growled.

                "You son-of-a-bitch!" I roared, sauntering towards his chests and dumping glass onto the floor until my hands were covered in blood and I was red as a cherry.