Chapter Nineteen

The Sweet Taste Of Rejection
Nhica Moico

Everybody get up
Everybody get up
Hey, hey, hey
Hey, hey, hey
Hey, hey, hey
If you can't hear what I'm trying to say
If you can't read from the same page
Maybe I'm going deaf,
Maybe I'm going blind
Maybe I'm out of my mind
Everybody get up
OK now he was close, tried to domesticate you
But you're an animal, baby, it's in your nature
Just let me liberate you
Hey, hey, hey
You don't need no papers
Hey, hey, hey
That man is not your maker
Blurred Lines, Robin Thicke

Chapter Nineteen 

Jace looked at the watch strapped around his muscular wrist. Matt was five minutes and he was tempted to ditch and go home but he resisted the idea. What if he had something important to say? Surely, his friend would not sound so urgent if it was just nothing? Jace raised a hand and got the waiter’s attention. The young lad held his little notebook and pen in both hands and were ready to write down anything again.

“I would like a large black coffee again, please” Jace said and fished out his wallet and pulled some notes out. He knew it was too much for such a cup of coffee but he shook his head at the boy beside him when he opened his mouth to voice his thought out and Jace said, “Keep it. As a tip”

The young waiter obliged enough and were on his way to get his order when Matt turned up and shook his head from the rain. “Make it two, please!” Jace shouted at the boy and the waiter nodded and disappeared through the double doors.

“You’re late, Matt” Jace said flatly as the detective placed his drenched coat at the back of the chair.

“My apologies. I got caught-up from the traffic and the office. I wanted to see what I saw was right and I didn’t want to make any wrong assumptions” Matt said and folded his strong hands together on the surface of the wooden table.

“So, what do you have for me?” Jace said, beating around the bush already.

“Do you remember when I told you that car that tried to run Amy over?” Jace nodded, and flicked a hand toward his mate, clearly impatient. “I found the owner of the damn car.”

 Jace leant closer and said, “Who is it?” 

"Well, it might come as a surprise to you but it is now registered under Jordan's name" Matt said, and accepted the coffee the young waiter provided.

Jordan? The Jordan who he thought once loved him? Jordan being responsible for the phone call, the car accident and might even the chocolate his son ate a while back. Could she be the one who was responsible for such unthinkable act? 

"Son of a bitch!" Jace cursed softly under his breath and was shaking so bad. Had the woman turned into a psychopath that she was desperate enough to kill the woman who was very important to him? Did she dare touch his family ever again? Hatred and anger shook him violently and he didn't know what to do. He vowed he would see the woman behind bars and see her rot there for the rest of her life.

But there was one question he needed to ask his friend first. 

"But how was that possible? A few weeks back, the car wasn't registered and we looked in every station and city. Are you sure about your theory?" Jace hissed through his teeth, fighting the urge to grit them harder than he was doing now. He couldn't believe Jordan was desperate enough to do such a thing.

"We did those things and we did look in every city police stations and offices but nothing came up. And then a few days later, i turned up at one we haven't looked for and I found it under her name. I asked the head of the police department if I could see the paperwork she's provided as these things do not come freely into your hands and her information is very confidential. So, I promised to bring the copies back and examined the files. Her picture was attached and she even provided a copy of her passport. Same with the ID but she had her signature in it. I'm guessing she registered the car to get away from the crime she intended on doing and waited a while before getting the car registered under her own name. She wanted to lie low and see what would happen. She probably thought she was safe and got away with the crime but I guessed she was both wrong in ways."