Winter, Year xx68

Lord Ryan brought me to my first party as a vampire last night, where I was a guest instead of his pet. He gave me fine clothes and patted my cheek, telling me that if I behaved he would reward me.

          I wasn't sure how to put on the clothes he had given me. There were so many clasps and buckles and layers that I was completely lost. Eventually I gave up and relented to ask for help. Lord Ryan laughed as if I was a child and sent another vampire to assist me.

          Growing up in a peasant family, I had never even hoped to wear such things. I was even lucky to know how to read and write considering my upbringing. However, when I was dressed, I was allowed the first look at myself in a mirror in decades. I was surprised that I looked like a noble myself.

          My hair hadn't changed much thanks to Lord Ryan's keeping it trim. My skin had grown paler from years of only going out under the moon and even my eyes had a luminance I hadn't seen before. They were more like a cat's. I found it strange. It didn't seem like the other vampires' eyes were like that. Perhaps it was a different perception depending on the viewer.

          Soon after, Lord Ryan came to fetch me and brought me along. That was the first time I had been in a carriage. I hadn't even known Lord Ryan had a stable, although upon further reflection I suppose it was foolish to think so.

          When I got to the party, it was like a whole new world had been introduced to me. Never before had I seen such a multitude of vampires that belonged to different covens, not just Lord Ryan's.

          I was expected to stay close to my sire, although I was given some free range this time. Some vampires were interested in me, being a new arrival with lord Ryan, and they struck up small conversations from time to time. I was even allowed to view the humans that had been brought that night for "dessert." Perhaps the most shocking event was when Lord Ryan gave me a glass of bloodwine with a smile that seemed sweet as sugar.

          The largest dampener, however, was running into Christine. She seemed to be thriving in Lord Ryan's inner circles, although she looked surprised when she noticed me there as well. Without being at Lord Ryan's side, at the very least.

          We didn't exchange words. Seldom had been over the years. We didn't want to change it at that moment.

          All that I could think of when we turned away from each other was that I wanted to be in Lord Ryan's inner circles. If only to prove that I wasn't, and am not beneath her.