39: Catching Fireflies

"Let's go, (Y/n)!" Nico grabbed my arm and started running through camp.

"Calm yourself," I laughed as he continued running excitedly.

He glanced back at me and grinned, pulling me into a clearing.

I gasped excitedly. "Fireflies!"

"I know! I saw them last night, but you were already asleep in your cabin by the time I found you."

"Dude, this is sick as frick," I awed. All the fireflies looked like tiny stars at hand's reach.

I looked back at Nico, who was holding up a clear glass jar and smirking at me.

"Care to bottle the stars with me?" He said rather poetically.

"Pass me the jar," I replied, matching his tone.

We grinned at each other.

He unscrewed the lid, and our adventure began.

We jumped through the grassy area, reaching for the tiny beacons of light.

Our eyes shined as bright as the stars, and our hearts were as light as the lively atmosphere around us.

We laughed and cried out in excitement to our hearts' content. 

After the adrenaline of the night died down, Nico and I sat down beside each other on a grassy hill overlooking Long Island Sound.

I held the jar of fireflies in my lap. "This one's name is Jeffrey," I said, breaking the silence and pointing at one of the fireflies in the jar.

"Why that one? It shines the least bright," Nico observed.

"Hey, don't be mean to Jeffrey. He's trying his best."

He looked at me in adoration and smiled warmly. "You're adorable."

"Thank you. Now apologize to Jeffrey," I replied, holding up the jar to his face.

"Sorry, Jeffrey."