I'm Not Capable

Chrome's POV

Love...

Such a blind, foolish word.

I finished the papers stacked neatly on one side of my desk, the curves of my signature on every sheet. The hundreds of proposed product ideas were a bundle in my head, one sack after another, thrown into the sponge that absorb anything. I exhaled deeply, turning the lights off my study lamp. I gathered my things, opening the door to the darkness ahead.

The hall was darker than the night, the only light emitting from my office was eerie and scary. Just like how horror movies are. Dark and creepy. I chuckled.

I descended the stairs, my feet familiar in the dark. The echo of my footsteps bouncing off the walls, the distant jingle of keys of the office guard in the background. It was just how everyday was. Work...work...work...

I checked my watch.

Let that girl wait...she's not even worth it.

I turned the ignition on, the quiet hum of the car engine was music to my ears. I smiled, and took a swerve out of the parking lot.

The night lights were bright, the busy-bodies of late closing stores hustled hear and there, the buzzing voices of the city hung noisily on the air. There was a distant woman clinging to a man holding a pile of things and on his hand was a pillow. A big cotton filled heart shaped pillow that had the word 'Love' spelled over it in large icky upper case fonts.

Love...

The word echoed again, the vibrations a ripple in the hallow space where my heart once was. It felt foreign. New. Different. Distant.

And that distant ripple of gentle waves shook my heart like an earthquake. Lava of wrath flows in my veins as the invisible arrow shot painfully in my heart stabbed deep. Deeper. Deepest.

I pressed on the accelerator and zoomed past cars that drove cautiously on the high way.

I drove like this because I have a reason.

I drove like mad because I have a reason.

And this reason was her.

The name bittersweet. The name that blinked back and forth on my wordless text document. The name that appeared in every page I turned to. The name that sang in me like the screaming banshees. The name that causes my tongue to blaze to say it out loud. The name I badly want to deafen. The name I badly want to pump alive again with a cardiopumper.

The name I wanted to call all day without restraint.

Half of my brain lobes demanded to find her, search more, have her. A half of it wanted to bury her deep into abyss of my head.

Never the heart because it never existed in me. It existed in hers.

I let out an exasperated scream, punching the car wheel with my knuckles dripping red. The stench of blood reaching my nostrils with a smell of familiarity. I rushed my pocket for a handkerchief and dabbed it with it, the blood stinging.

The cars behind me were beeping their horns, the thundering tiny sound blasting in my ears. I rolled my windows.

"Can't you wait?!" I shouted at them.

The cars answered in behalf.

I shook my head, stepping the pedals harder.

The gates open to the sprawling grounds of my home, the garden lit by the warm yellow lights. But not warm enough as my blood.

I turned the engine off and slammed the car door shut in anger, getting out.

I walked on my thoughts that had filled my entire body with anger I never managed to calm.

Daphne...

I looked up to the sky, droplets of rain slowly descending in little packs. Even in the sky, the disappearing stars, all I could see was her name.

Daphne...

The earth screamed her name. Everywhere I look was her. Everything was her.

I was her.

Forgetting...

One word with a thousand meanings. One word that could define everything. One word that could be what we would be. One word that could change everything.

Two perfect beings in an imperfect world....

Daphne and Chrome

Forever.

Forgetting...

I love her. I still love her.

Forgetting...

I'm not capable.