Falling

I could hear the water running on the sink, the tinkling as glass hits something, and footsteps. I grunted, sitting up, my eyes still closed.

"Are you okay?"

I breathed in to erase the pain of my head. I had another migraine attack. I shouldn't have stopped my medication.

"Yeah," I answered opening my eyes slowly because of the pain. He was bringing a bowl of water and a wet towel, heading to where I was. I was on his bed, the familiar cushions of it warms my shivering body. I found comfort, though, something I never thought I could find.

He sits beside me. "I hope I gave the right medication, doc."

"What do you mean? How do you know..?"

"Louis told me everything about you. I'm sorry that my selfishness caused you hurt."

"He has told you about it too?"

"Yeah, your brother missing. I'm sorry. I didn't think about you at all. I was just too eager, too excited," he continues, touching my temple where the pain was worse, "I'm a jerk, I know. I'm sorry. I didn't realize your situation. I thought you were just another gold digger."

I chuckled, the pain slowly seeps away as I stared at him. Ashfield saying sorry? That's not what I expected him. He seems cold and strange, I could find it in him to be so gentle.

"Calling me that, hurts, Ash. It really hurts."

He sets the bowl on the bedside table, pouring the towel out of water. He drapes it on my forehead, yawning as if he's lost much sleep. "I'm sorry, Kaye. I've been so used to gold diggers all my life, it's hard to extinguish someone different."

I took the towel off my forehead, slipping out of the covers. I landed barefooted on the grey carpet. "Thanks for helping me out," I say, giving him a little hug before taking the bowl with me out the door.

I closed the door with tightness on my throat. It was getting stuffy in there. I walked out into the living room, noticing a new modern designed clock on the wall above the mantle. I looked at it's hands, amazed at the crystallized theme. But the time stops me.

I gasped in utter realization. I didn't know how I felt. It was like feeling touched or falling.

I was falling for Chrome?

No. I'll pick the prior guess.

I was touched because he missed a night's sleep for me. He took care of me. I cleared my throat. Somehow, I didn't debate with my head that everything it was saying was out of bounds.

I was touched.

Really touched that I felt like carried away into the deepest of the sea of him only to fall and drown in the murky depth of it.

I was really feeling different. I almost couldn't believe I was falling.

Slumping down to sit on the couch, the problems bombard me again. All the same, my head feels like weights that my neck couldn't carry. It'll break and I'll die. I grunted in a staggering state as I fell forward in a sudden force. Today was the day. And I'm not ready for it.

I have to go get ready. My brother's life is at stake. I glanced at the watch again, the pain doubles as I struggled to turn my head. Sixteen hours before I deliver the money to him. Sixteen hours before I'll get my brother safely. I blew out air, saying a silent prayer. I mentioned my mother's name as I touched my heart. I hope God's going to help me.

The sound of a cane thumping on the ground indicates Louis' arrival. I smiled at him amidst the pain. He takes no notice of it, settling on the couch opposite me. Chrome hears the arrival of his father, comes out the door to sit beside me.