Two Days Left and We Went Investigating

The ride to the hotel was fun and interesting. Since I had an interest in the latest cases of crimes and disobedience to the law, a hobby I had three years ago now remembered since I lost my old self, Jerome and I chatted all the way. He told me the cases of murders to the cases of divorce. I actually had liked how he described his clients. Some were good and some were bad. He told me that lawyers didn't really have a choice in choosing their defendants. Especially since the bad guys threatened him to do so.

And now, I learned that he was the lawyer my mom had spoken to me about. Thr lawyer she wanted to hire against my father.

And mom, your daughter had hired him. I wonder what my mom would be like if she knew I hired him.

Jerome looked at me with the same captivating eyes. I stopped my thoughts, breathless for a moment.

Why do these people look so beautiful?

He laughs, then I realized I was staring again.

"Hey, earth to Kaye," he says, chuckling.

"Uh, yeah? Sorry, it's just, your eyes--"

"Hmm? What about them?"

"Uh...nothing."

"I would love to hear what you want to say about my eyes."

I flushed, the red paint splattered on my cheeks. I can feel the pounding of the blood in my arteries.

I felt jumpy all of a sudden, grinning nervously at my hands because I don't really want him to see me like this.

"Stop it, will you?"

"You started it. You thought about me first," he argued. I clenched my teeth to stop myself from getting giddy.

He stops the car, reminding me that we've arrived.

I got out of the car just as he was in the middle of going over my side. His face was that of shock and I titled my head in confusion.

"What?"

"Nothing. You seem to repel all gentlemanly acts, Kaye." He smiled, amused at me.

"Well, I've never seen one, never met one, never tried one." I shrugged, rolling my eyes at him. He chuckles, putting his index finger folded on his chin as if he was thinking about something.

"Then, perhaps you would want me to demonstrate what a gentleman would do to girls like you?"

"No need, I don't need one."

True. I don't freaking want another guy in my life. And I felt bad because Nathan...

I sulked, frowning down on the asphalt inclined road. I hate hurting him.

To bring me back again, he steps closer to me.

"Distracted again? By what this time? You're wondering if I have abs, aren't you?"

"WHAT?!" I screamed. The rope he used to haul me back to reality was out of decency. I felt the blush weaving on my cheeks.

He laughs, bending down. I gulped in a sigh.

"What?" I asked, gentler this time.

"I decided I'll be frank with you. You know, since you don't need gentlemen."

"Is that your definition of frank? I thought lawyers study a dictionary for a living."

"It is. And you should've seen your face, you were like, 'whaaaaaat?!'"

He made a shocked face with his nose flaring and mouth wide open. He looked cute but I know if my face was the one doing that, it would be ugly.

"You handsome men don't know what it feels like to be ugly and you laugh at us," I said, sighing as if I was disappointed, I kicked an invisible object on the road, my sneakers squeaking.