2

Monday was just like any other day, minus the harassment. Our department was called into a meeting where everyone was told that Bill was let go. Next we were introduced to our new boss, Damien Carter. He was hot, no other way to put it, and a few exchanged glances of glee were seen throughout the room before we were dismissed. John called me back for a moment to ask me how I was holding up. My arm and leg had some nice bruising but I told him I was great.

I was, for the first time since I started here, really great. The day went by quickly and the new boss was energetic. I liked him. He asked good questions to all the other staff and seemed to be adapting fast. I thought he was a great fit for our team. I absolutely did not fantasize about asking him out on a date over my salad at lunch. I didn't even check out his backside when he was leaning over Peggy's desk. Nope. I was nothing like Bill. I refused to be a creeper after getting rid of one.

So, when he mistakenly held the elevator for me on my way out, I just smiled and took the stairs as usual. No big deal. I liked my routine and needed all the exercise I got. Sitting at a desk all day was bad for the body you know. I had to keep up the hard work. I was not avoiding him. Nope. I could have a normal, non-work conversation with him any time at all without freaking out. I could.

When I realised how much time I had been not thinking about the new boss, I cringed and held my head in my hands. Oh god. I do not date co-workers, I tried to tell myself. He wasn't that good looking. No, that's a lie. We promised ourselves we wouldn't lie to us anymore, remember. Now I'm pluralising. This is bad. I need a date, not with him but with a nice guy that I meet outside of work. Yes, that would work. Maybe Max could find someone... no, who am I kidding. Last time Max set you up it was a disaster. Not their fault, but still horrifying.

I went to bed, still not thinking about Damien.

*****

Damien

It was a mess. The files were all over the place and the last manager had left so much work I thought I was going to lose my mind. The man had no sense of organization. I constantly had to ask my new employees about which orders went with which customers. There had just been a pile in the middle of the desk when I had arrived and due to the nature of the last manager's leaving there were no notes. I glanced up at a knock on my door and smiled as Erin Burns walked in to get a signature.

I signed with flourish and did my best not to watch her fine, plump derriere sway back out the door. The moment I laid eyes on that waterfall of chocolate locks and twinkling blue eyes I knew exactly how much trouble I was in for. I heard the rumours. The last manager had harassed that beautiful woman and got the boot. I was not about to make the mistake of thinking she had any interest in an office romance. Besides, she wasn't my type. At least I didn't think she was my type. We could just be friends; I was sure of it.

For heaven's sake I had been going to gay bars and dating guys for four years now. Girls hadn't worked before, not in high school or college, no matter how badly my parents had wished it to happen. I mean I hadn't found a guy I really liked either, so maybe I was finally in luck. Maybe I just needed to find that one person who clicked? Like I was just pansexual or something? My parents would be absolutely ecstatic that I had finally gotten the hots for a girl. I just wasn't sure if I wanted to do anything about it.

I shook my head and pored over the papers on my desk, forcing myself to get back to work.

*****

Erin

"Miss Burns, did you get a call from Ace Co. this morning?" Mr. Carter asked me as I sat down with my tea. It was a week gone by and I finally had his name straight in my head.

"No, Mr. Carter. Did you want me to call their rep?" I asked politely. He nodded and put the order down on my desk, I felt the heat of him being close by and put my headset on to make the call. I thought he would leave, but he listened in on our conversation from start to finish before moving away.

"Ok, if you could make the changes on the paperwork, I'll call down to accounting and give them a heads up so we don't put through the wrong paperwork." I thanked him as he moved to his office to do as he said. My notes were carefully transferred to the new documents along with the information from the original order. Then Mr. Carter was at my elbow as if on cue to pick up the documents, look them over and send them on downstairs.

My senses were being assaulted on a daily basis. It was like he oozed the exact brand of pheromones my body wanted and I was constantly fighting jelly legs. He smelled amazing, which was a pain in the arse. He smiled frequently, which was bad for my heart. Oh, and he was nice, like way too nice. I didn't know if I wanted to jump him or hit him for making me feel like a stupid weakling. But it was my problem, not his. It's not like he did it on purpose, I think.

Besides, I was all kinds of wrong for him. I knew that. Didn't stop me from daydreaming occasionally though. That was fun. Imagining him leaning over my desk like Bill used to, only saying something charming and being all handsome. This was probably god testing me to see if I really practised what I preached with the whole 'work harassment' deal. I did, I swear I did. That's why I was behaving myself and not flirting like a cheap whore.

"Are you going for lunch soon?" I heard Mr. Carter say as he stopped by my desk. I turned, surprised, at the question.

"Hmm? Why's that?" I said distractedly. He smiled.

"It's almost one, so if you are going to eat out..." He said kindly. I looked at the clock and was surprised to see that it was in fact much later than I thought.

"Oh! Right, sorry. I lost track there." I grabbed my purse and headed for the stairs.

"It's fine. You're a hard worker. I admire your diligence. Just didn't want you to miss your lunch." He waved and went in his office. I realised that was probably one of the longest conversations we had ever had that didn't revolve around a sale. Was it significant that he had thought of me? Probably not. I was happy that he thought I was a hard worker though. It meant he saw the effort I was putting in, and that was even better than if he had hit on me.

I was on top of the moon, or whatever that stupid expression was. All afternoon I felt like an electric current was running through me. When I shut off my computer at the end of the day, I felt a sense of accomplishment that I hadn't really felt in years. It was thanks to him, Damien Carter. Just for acknowledging my existence as a hard worker. I was in so much trouble at that moment, and I knew it. You see, it was as I got in my ML and set off for home that I realised... I was definitely falling for my new boss.