18

Damien

"I'm sorry." I glanced over at Erin, sitting serenely by my side in the car.

"Why's that?" She said back to me, looking at me as I watched for traffic on the road.

"Not all my family was very nice to you. I'm sorry for that." I replied. She just smiled and shook her head.

"No apology is necessary. Not everyone is going to like me everywhere I go. That's just life. They are entitled to their opinion, as long as they don't do anything to actually hurt me." She glanced over at me when I snorted.

"They did hurt you. You got all teary. I wanted to punch someone." I said clipped. I gripped the steering wheel in remembrance of those glistening eyes.

"Calm down. I wasn't teary because I was upset. I got all teary because your uncle was exceptionally nice to me." She put her hand on my leg and I snuck glances over to see if she was faking it. She seemed sincere.

"Alright. I'll take your word for it. If anyone does give you trouble, you let me know though right?" She snorted this time.

"Yes, yes. Of course I will, my big strong protector man." I glared at the mocking tone of her voice and tried not to smile when I heard her giggle. I turned into the restaurant with a bit of a sigh of relief at the distraction. We went inside to find that Peter and Max had already gotten a table for us all. We went to sit with them and checked our menus.

"Have you been here before?" Max asked me. I shook my head, no. Silence descended on the four of us as we read over our options.

"Can I take your drink orders?" A petite waitress with bright red, dyed hair in a ponytail asked with a pad and pen tightly gripped in her hand. Water was asked for all around, then Erin and Max had milkshakes, and then Peter and I ordered beers.

"Are you having the chicken tetrazzini? Because I want to try it, but I would rather have the Fish and Chips." I said to Erin. She smiled.

"Sure, I was trying to decide between that and the special. I really just wanted some fries though. I will share if you let me steal some fries." She told me.

"Of course I will." I was cut short at the return of the waitress. She put out all our waters, then our beers, and lastly the milkshakes.

"Oh, this is incorrect. I ordered a chocolate milkshake." Max said to her.

"Huh, really? I'm pretty sure that's what you ordered." She sassed back. Peter and I exchanged glanced with a raised eyebrow.

"Nope." Max said, popping the 'p' for emphasis. They handed the glass back to her so she had to take it. She smiled rather fake-ly and took it back with her. We waited 15 minutes before she came back with the drink and to take our orders. She acted flirty with me and practically leaned over my brother to show off her boobs. Erin and I were exchanging eye rolls as soon as she left. The food was slow and our drinks were sitting empty on the table for at least five minutes before we saw the waitress again.

"I'll drive if you want another beer, hun." Erin leaned over and told me in my ear. I shook my head and switched to soda. With the way this dinner was going I didn't want anything to add to my irritation. Our sodas and food came out finally. The waitress brushed up against my brother as she put his food down and he made a face as he leaned away from her.

"Her perfume is gross. Maybe we should ask for a different server." He said to us after she left. He and I waited for the rest of the food to be delivered before we started. And waited. Max was looking around to try and spot the waitress. Erin was stealing French fries and tapping her nails on the table.

"Just start eating without us. I don't want your food to get cold waiting for us." Max finally said.

"This is ridiculous." Erin huffed and got up. She stomped over to the maître d's stand and had a hushed discussion with the woman there. She came back with a more pleasant look on her face. Seconds later the food was delivered by the maître d herself and an apology was issued. We thanked her and dug in. The food really was delicious.

"Once again, I am very sorry for the behaviour of my staff. It won't happen again." The maitre d, who turned out to be the floor manager said to us as she delivered our bill. I took it, surprised they had put it all on one at first. My eyes widened.

"What? What do I owe you?" Peter asked me. I grinned and passed it over.

"Nothing. She wiped our bill." Erin gasped delicately and grabbed my hand in excitement.

"Oh my gosh really? That's so nice!" She said cutely. Max just shook their head.

"It's not nice, it's just good business. She wants us to come back again, despite piss poor service, so she is showing us she holds her staff to a higher standard. It will probably come out of the stupid girl's paycheck." Max reasoned. Peter agreed with them and then got up to leave, grabbing their hand to pull them behind him.

"I still think it's nice." Erin whispered in just our hearing range. I grinned and smacked a kiss on her cheek.

"I agree love. Now let's go see a show." I pulled her behind me and we went to the movies.

Uncle Robbie

Lord, today was a good day. I laughed, I ate and I felt like I was part of something bigger. My family has grown so much, and they are all learning to grow in love and friendship despite their differences. The new members are people of all colours and backgrounds. It makes me so happy to see them all living in love like you wanted for us. We aren't all perfect, but we are trying so hard.

Today I spoke to someone for the first time about my own greatest sin. The sin of sloth. I told someone about how I abandoned love for the easier path. I told someone about my love for Edgar, and my remorse for not following the path of love that you provided for me. I have confessed, and I feel that with my repentance these many years helping those who are persecuted for their love, that I have found peace with myself and my actions.

I am a flawed being my Lord, but with your guidance I can be an instrument of love and kindness to those who struggle down the path of unconditional love. I will not stand by and be an instrument of hate in your name. I will no longer allow the thoughts and feelings of others dictate how I dole out my heart. You told us that You are love, so I must believe that as long as I promote love in this world that I am doing your work and following in Your footsteps.

May Your world grow in love and acceptance. May I be worthy of Your love. Amen.