15

Damien

I hugged Erin close as she cried against my shoulder. I struggled to put aside my anger at the lawyers, Bill and the media. I needed to focus on comforting my beautiful, brave girl. I stroked her hair and told her over and over how well she did and how proud I was of her. It was over more quickly than she or I could have hoped, thanks to careful notes and documented evidence I am sure. Bill was guilty. He was out of both of our lives, hopefully for good.

That didn't mean it was over for her yet. It could be months or years before she could put the whole experience behind her. I just knew I wanted to be there for her. In fact, I was going to distract her with all the charm and fun I could muster. Starting with stage 1 of what I liked to call, 'The Master Plan". Yep, let's get her out of the apartment and away from one thing that reminded her of her ordeal.

"Hey baby, you want to get some food?" I crooned to her. I knew if anything would help her out of her mood it was the distraction of some good food and good company. When she nodded, I led her to the car and helped her into her seat. I sat in the driver's seat and texted Max for a rendezvous at Sam's. This called for reinforcements.

"Are we going to Sam's?" She asked me with red, hopeful eyes.

"You know it, sweetness. Max is going to meet us there, okay?" She nodded and played with the radio. I watched the traffic carefully and took the fastest route.

"I need to fix my makeup, kay?" She said as she got out. I nodded even though I thought she looked perfect. No use arguing. I grabbed a booth big enough for the three of us and was surprised when Max came only seconds later.

"That was quick." I said to them.

"Yeah, I was close by. Where is she?" They asked as they took off their coat and sat down.

"Washroom. She was pretty upset." I replied. I asked the waitress to come back for our drink orders.

"How did she do?" Max asked concerned.

"Great. She was amazing." I replied. Erin gave Max a hug before sliding in next to me in the booth.

"I hope you're talking about me." She said with a smile.

"You betcha." I said, giving her a peck on the cheek before picking up my menu.

"Hard to believe it's over." Erin said, Max grinned and looked my way. They knew what was coming and I just mock glared at them and pointedly looked at my menu.

"Yeah, thank goodness for that. You must be pretty happy with the result." They said, still sneaking glances over at me. I wanted to throttle them for being so obvious. Never tell a person's best friend you are going to ask them to live with you before they know. That is what I discovered this week. Not that I meant to spill the beans to them, it just happened because of a little misunderstanding.

*****(flashback)

"What's with you?" Max demanded as we stood in the kitchen with the dirty dishes from dinner. I tried to glance over innocently but Max was like a dog with a bone. "Fess up."

"Nothing. It's nothing. I swear." I glanced in the direction of the living room where Erin was currently waiting for us.

"It's not nothing. I can tell." Max invaded my space a little with a glare. I tried not to meet their eyes but it was useless. I looked away guiltily. I gulped. They were really good at interrogation I can tell you that.

"It's nothing." I trailed off at the end and Max gasped. I looked over quickly at their look of horror.

"You are going to dump her." They said as if utterly convinced. I clapped a hand over their mouth and shook my head.

"Don't even say such a thing. I am NOT going to dump her." I breathed and then let go when I thought their face looked convinced. I moved to join Erin.

"Then what? What is it?" Max insisted as they walked in behind me. "Are you pregnant?" I choked a laugh and looked back incredulous.

"Are you crazy? I can't get pregnant." I declared. Max chuckled.

"So she topped you?" I was flaming at that, head buried in my hand. I groaned. "She did, she totally topped you."

"She's the girl!" I snapped. "I topped her!" Max broke out in peals of laughter.

"Then what's the problem? Your relationship is progressing smoothly, it would seem." They crossed their arms in front of them and I just blurted it out.

"I am going to ask her to move in with me." Max clapped happily and patted my shoulder as they went by.

"Was that so hard, tiger?"

*****(flash forward)

Max was furious. They were glaring at me the whole time I went up to pay for dinner. They hadn't spoken in minutes, which was a feat for them. Erin was getting up to get her jacket on and I scooted to the edge of the seat. They lunged and grabbed my sleeve. 'Well?' they mouthed silently to me. 'What?' I mouthed back innocently. Erin caught our exchange and gave us a strange look.

"Do you want to walk down to the park?" I asked the both of them as we went out the doors into the slight chill. Erin loved to walk after dinner so she said yes quickly. Max caught on and agreed to join us.

"I was thinking of getting a puppy." Max said out of the blue. Erin smiled wide and gushed.

"You should! Oh my gosh they are so cute! Get a little fluffy one and I will come over all the time to visit." Erin said happily. I grinned, this was my chance.

"I don't know. It might be a bit of a drive. Maybe they should visit us." Erin looked at me confused for a second.

"What?" She said breathily.

"Well, I mean IF you say yes to moving in with me then..." I didn't get a chance to finish my sentence as she launched herself into my arms. Max was laughing hysterically at her, she was crying tears of joy (I hope) and I was assuring her that I meant it. She kissed me frantically before finally allowing me to out her back on her feet.

"Thank god." Max drawled. "I thought you'd never ask."

"Well maybe you should just let me do it in my own time. Erin has been very busy, but now she has time to pack up her stuff and officially move in." Erin was still somewhat speechless and grabbing my arm tightly.

"I can help. I mean, there won't be very much clothing to pack up I am guessing from the last time I saw her closet. You might as well have been living together for... what? A month now?" I shook my head in amusement. Although it wasn't that far off. She had taken over the spare bathroom and a good corner of my closet. I was already planning on ordering a matching dresser to put in there for her, and I could get rid of some old clothes I didn't need anymore.

"I can't help this week, but maybe on the weekend we could load up our cars and get most of it moved over? Then we can decide what to do about furniture. If we have it delivered to the house, then we can sort what we want to keep, sell, or give away." Erin nodded and then the tides were released. She talked, and she talked, and she talked. I listened to every word. I laughed and hugged her. I bundled us up into the car and drove home. Our home.

Sorry guys, I am too distracted to write more than this right now. My boy is coming home after being gone for too many nights to stand, I am going back to school this week, I can't sit still, I promise I will update again soon...