19

Erin

"I'm so done." I muttered and flopped over my desk. My papers crunched underneath me and I closed my eyes for a second, willing them to all disappear. The air conditioning had been on so strong that half the staff was wearing sweaters. It was fine for the Executives who all wore suits in the middle of summer but it was killing the ladies. I heard a knock on my door and hurried to straighten up so I didn't look like a slacker.

"Hey, did you want me to grab you a salad from the café?" Damien asked, looking at my stacked desk.

"You had better. I am swamped today and I don't think I have time to grab anything right now." I groused.

"Make sure you take some time to eat when I drop it off. I don't want you missing meals." He pointed at me and I stuck out my tongue as he closed the door. I both loved and hated how he took care of me. Part of me wanted to shout at him that I was an independent person who could look after myself, and the other wanted to climb in his arms and suck my thumb because it was so hard to adult some days. The knock on my door startled me and I called out for the person to enter.

"Hey, do you know where Damien is? There is a really important call for him on line 62." It was his assistant; her face was really worried.

"He just left to get lunch. Is it work related?" I couldn't help if it was a call on one of his accounts since only he would know where all the file information that was needed was kept. She shook her head no and I felt a shiver of dread.

"No, it's his father. Said it was urgent so I told him I would try to track him down." She bit her lip in frustration and I waved her worry with flapping hands.

"It's fine, I can take the call. I'll explain to his dad, so don't worry about it." She smiled in relief and closed the door behind her. I picked up my phone and hit a series of buttons to pick up the call. "Hello Dad?"

"Hello? Is that you Erin, sweetheart?" I heard his dad reply on the other end of the line.

"Yes, Dad. Damien is out at the moment. He just ran to grab us a bite at the café. I figured I would see what's up, since you don't usually call him at work like this." I tapped my pencil on the edge of my blotter and swung my chair a little as I talked. I was worried but trying not to let it get to me.

"Ah yeah. I just got some sad news and I needed to check in with him to make sure he could get a few days off next week." His dad hesitated.

"I would have to ask him, but I think he should have a couple days banked up the same as I do." I felt a drop in my stomach as I waited to hear what was wrong. Was it his grandmother? His mother? Was someone sick? "You could try his cell phone."

"If it's alright sweetie, I will have you tell him. You see..."

(Patience dears, I know they are short but I have had such horrible writers block and been so busy with school I feel lucky to have produced this much)