4

Erin

"What the hell am I going to do Max?" I ranted. Max sat with a huge bowl of popcorn between their legs and watched me like I was entertainment. Like a true friend, I swear.

"Has he asked you out?" Max asked through a mouthful of popcorn. I shook my head no. "Then what are you worried about? It could be just a work friend kind of thing. I wouldn't worry about it so much until you actually know what he wants, right love?"

"I guess. I just don't want him to think I'm leading him on. I am so many kinds of wrong for him it's not even funny. I will have to tell him eventually. I hate that it feels like I'm lying." I flopped onto the couch and grabbed a big handful of popcorn to stuff in my mouth in anxious eating.

"You aren't lying. Get that awful thought out of your head right this minute. I am never hooking you up with another douchebag again. This Devon guy..." Max started.

"It's Damien." I sniffled.

"Whatever. Either he's into you or he's not. If he cares about 'that' then he isn't worth your time. Not another thought. Don't you let anyone tell you that you are a liar, or not enough, or anything but beautiful and desirable." I was crying now, and Max set aside the bowl to grab me. I got enveloped in the biggest hug and rocked until my tears subsided. I hugged them back. I really needed that, all of it. To hear I was enough, to hear them say it was okay, and of course the hugs.

"Thanks Max. I needed that." I mumbled. They grabbed the bowl and began munching again, this time with a remote to set up a movie for us to watch.

"It's fine. Now, Strange Magic or El Dorado?" I laughed and shrugged.

"Whichever is fine." They chuckled evilly and settled in to watch. I rolled my eyes, since it was probably the fourth time I had been subjected to watch the fairies.

Damien

I pulled into the driveway with a sigh. Tapping on my steering wheel before shutting off the engine and deciding to go inside. I grabbed the flowers off the seat for my mom and moved to the door. My dad was opening it for me before I even got a chance to knock. I stepped inside. Mom came and took the flowers as she gave me a tight squeeze and I kissed her hair. I hugged my dad and asked how he had been. He started on about his work as we moved into the living room.

I could smell the roasted chicken and vegetables from the kitchen wafting through the house. The well worn furniture hadn't changed since I had lived here. A framed picture of my preschool art still stood in a frame on the mantel along with numerous pictures of my brothers, sisters and parents. My youthful grin at various stages and with various people reminded me of the memories this house held. New photos of my siblings starting families sat at the edges.

"So, have you got anyone special at the moment dear?" My mom asked me pointedly. My dad snorted and shook his head when I replied with an emphatic no.

"How's the new job working out?" He asked, interrupting my mother's impending lecture. I sighed.

"It's good. No, really great. I like it a lot. I mean, it was difficult at first just trying to figure things out and get the jist of how it runs there, but it seems rewarding." My mom was watching me closely with a funny look.

"You met someone." It was a statement, not a question, and I blushed involuntarily. She smiled wide and nodded to my dad. "That's great dear. Let us know when you are ready to. I want to hear all about them."

"No, it... she's a subordinate. I can't date an employee under me. It wouldn't be right." My blush was getting hotter. Trust my mom to make me feel like a naughty boy with his fingers in the cookie jar. My dad just raised his brows. Mom pounced.

"She. I see. That's lovely. Don't you think so dear? Just lovely. Well, I won't rush you dear. You can ask her out when you are ready." She got up and patted my head like I was a puppy. It took everything I had not to snarl at her or laugh hysterically.

"Dad." My mom left to check the food in the kitchen and my dad just shook his head.

"There is no talking to her. You know that. Leave her to her fantasies. No use getting upset over it." He said reasonably. He got up and we both went into the dining room for dinner.

If my mom had let it go, it might have been a nice evening. She didn't. Every other sentence from her mouth was talking about it or asking me questions. I dodged as best as I could, but still left the house exhausted from the match. She was a pro, and I knew I let out more than I wanted to. I hadn't given away everything, as hard as she pushed, so I guess I was feeling like I had escaped without guilt. Now I needed a drink and pajamas. Not necessarily in that order.

Just talking about Erin, even as vaguely as that, had me thinking about her. Everything from the moment I had walked into the new company to today. Every look, every touch, and every conversation kept my head swirling. Was mom right? Should I ask her out? I was still reeling from it as I got into bed hours later. Now mom would be a dog with a bone, and I was still as confused as ever. I just wish she wouldn't get her hopes up. Or mine.