Chapter 8

I was being chased by Cujo, you know the rabid dog from the movie. I could hear him growling and snapping at my feet as I ran. If I didn't pick up the speed he was going to eat me. I ran though the forest toward a shadowy figure up ahead. I couldn't make out his features but I could see him as he raised a gun. Pumping my legs faster as the growling intensified my foot got caught in a root. I went flying in the air, face first in the dirt. I turned around to see Cujo jump in the air foaming at the mouth his jaws widening to clamped down on my flesh. BANG!

I shot up in the bed clutching the blanket. Oh my god, it was just a dream. Correction it was a nightmare. I put my hand to my chest and felt my heart racing. I could still hear the growling noise coming from a distance. BANG! The same sound that I heard in my dream. It wasn't my dream guy shooting the gun at Cujo, but the slamming of doors.

I started to focus on my surroundings and realized there was a lot of commotion coming from the hallway. I glanced over to the alarm clock, 3am. I threw back the covers shoving my feet into a pair of slippers I got from the store. I open the door and peeked down the hall to see what was going on. I saw a couple of men rushing out of their rooms several doors down. The were dressed in all black and one was hopping around sticking his foot in a combat boot. That is when I noticed the hardware strapped around their shoulders. Guns.

Vicki swore they were not some wacko military group. I waited until the men disappear before I ventured out and followed their path. As I tiptoed down the hall voices grew louder. I passed the stairs that led to the kitchen and continued onward down the long hall. There were at least twenty rooms thus far before I reached the end. As I neared the end the walls stopped and a huge opening was revealed. I slowed my pace when I saw the banister and I could clearly hear a man yelling out orders. I noticed the stairs were left of the banister and the closer I got I saw men and women all dressed in similar black clothing. There had to be at least fifty people down there.

"Celeste?" I jumped at the familiar voice of Vicki.

"Vicki what's going on?" I whispered taking in her appearance. Vicki was dressed like one of the commandos with her hair pulled back into a ponytail. She grabbed my hand gently pulling me away from scene below.

"You really shouldn't be here. Come on go back to bed."

I didn't budge because I wanted answers. "I'm not moving until you tell me what is going on. You told me that this wasn't some gun toting group. but you're carrying guns!" I finished pointing at the hand gun she had in her holster.

"Look remember I told you we have several businesses. Well one of them is a security firm. We are all licensed gun holders. I don't have time for this Celeste. They found Colin but they need reinforcements. Please I have to go. I know this is a lot to take in, but if we don't go they will kill Colin, Dylan, and our friends.

"I'm sorry Vicki. It just freaked me out a little." I did it again jumping to conclusions. I need to

stop letting my imagination run wild.

"Go back to bed. I've already talked to Natalie and she will come get you for breakfast. Now I have to go."

"Be careful Vicki."

"Thanks."

I climbed back into bed and attempted to go back to sleep. I closed my eyes hoping that sleep would take over. I don't know how long I laid in bed before I fell asleep before persistent knocking woke me up. I opened the door yawning.

"Wakey wakey Celeste." Natalie giggled. I spun around diving back into bed yanking the covers over my head. "Oh no you don't! Vicki put me in charge of you and if you don't hurry there will be no food left." She pulled the covers off of me and I groaned. My late night adventure had me exhausted.

Fifteen minutes later we were sitting in the dining hall eating with the other people. Gone was the jovial and boisterous group of people I met last night. Instead there were only a light smattering of voices that could be heard. Everyone was seated and only a third of the people were here, mainly women and children. The air was thick with unease and you can see worry etched on some of their faces.

"Any word yet, Natalie?" She shook her head. I knew she was worried about her older brother who left this morning with Vicki's group.

"So I thought I would finish giving you the tour of the complex and then we can." she plastered a weak smile on her face.

I held my hand up to stop her. "Listen, I know Vicki told you to look after me, but its not necessary. I can explore on my own,"

"No, no,no you can't. Really I don't mind."

"Well how about this. I'm gonna head back up to take a nap. I will met you down here for lunch and then you can show me around. Listen I know you are worried about your mom. Go take care of her."

"But."

"Natalie that's an order. Go and I will see you at lunch." Natalie dropped her head and her shoulders sagged in defeat.

"OK, but I will be back for you at lunch."

"OK and Natalie I'm sure your brother will be fine." Natalie watched me for a second as I turned down the hall towards the spiral staircase I discovered early this morning. I took a couple of steps up glancing over my shoulder to see that Natalie was gone. I quickly turned around and went looking for an exit. There was no way I was going to take a nap. I decided I would do my own tour of this place without a watchdog. I couldn't ignore this nagging suspicion that they were hiding something from me.