Chapter 48

I knew I should feel sadness over the death of Todd, but I couldn't. I only felt relief that this nightmare was finally over. I stood in awe at the group of naked men and women, who not only moments ago were werewolves engaged in raging battle.  Their bodies were smeared in blood and covered in gashes and lacerations they received in their wolf form. They all seemed oblivious to the state of their undress, but I was fast becoming uncomfortable with the amount of flesh I was surrounded by.

My eyes darted rapidly upward towards the high tree branches, desperately trying not to look at the parts of that anatomy that should be only seen in private. I needed distance from everyone.  I edged away from the others as Todd's men cowered together in a group not sure of their fate.  Colin stayed near Todd's wolf and his men kept a watchful eye on the remaining survivors.

That's when a flash of white caught my eye. I walked to the dense trees looking to investigate and stopped when I spotted the white wolf. Quickly I peered over my shoulder to see that Colin was speaking to the people in front of him, I made my decision to go towards the white wolf.

I knew the white wolf was the one that saved me from Ridley when he dragged me from the car. The white wolf stood out from the rest.  Most of the wolves I encountered were varying shades of brown, black, and grey.  The white wolf had an air of arrogance and confidence that the others seemed to lack.  It reminded me of Colin’s and Todd’s wolves that seem to demand respect.  It was odd that he didn't shift when Colin made the others do so. The wolf made its way towards me and I stood still. I watched as it came up to me poking my right arm with its head. I should feel scared but it was something in its eyes that made me feel safe.

I looked down at my arm and realize that it was covered in blood.  My arm was throbbing but the blood wasn’t mine. Was the wolf trying to see if I was okay? “My arm? It’s fine.  It hurts, but the blood isn’t mine.”

That seemed to reassure the wolf as it cocked its head to the side, before stepping closer to me and licked the side of my face.  “Ewwww!  That’s disgusting!” I could swear I see the wolf laugh at me. “Who are you?”

The wolf growled at me like it was offended.  How the hell was I supposed to know who it was?  The wolf backed up and I watch the transformation as it crouched low to the ground.  The wolf turned within seconds kneeling on the ground, his body curled up but his sculpted arms and well defined legs screamed male.

He stood up with the familiar playful smile I’ve grown to love.  “I’m hurt you didn’t know it was me.” He at least had the decency to cover up his private bits with his hands.

“Sean! You need to quit popping up on me, are you my guarding angel?”

“I told you that whenever you need me, I will be here for you.  I was still in the area when I got the call.” 

“The call?”

“Yes, from me.” I turned at Colin’s voice as he came up to us pulling me into his body.  “Thanks for watching out for her.”

“No thanks necessary, I will always come when she needs me. It seems you got everything under control.  I have a plane to catch.” I left Colin’s arm to give Sean a hug, which was a bit awkward with him keeping his vital parts covered.

“Sean, you know that goes both ways.  If you ever need me, you call me.” I gave him a peck on the cheek.  I wanted him to know that I meant it.

“I know, Celeste.  I will keep in touch. You better take good care of her, or will come back and kick your ass!”  Sean laughed giving Colin a stern look and then transformed back into his white wolf sprinting away from us.

“Come on, let’s go home.” Colin’s words had warmth to it that I craved.

An hour later we were all packed into cars heading home, and all thankfully semi dressed. Colin fussed over me before we left, checking to make sure I didn’t have any serious injuries.  I was more worried about his injuries than mine. He had cuts and scratches of varying sizes, and a couple of holes that I was sure he got when he used his body as a bullet magnet to protect me. One of his men was able to get the one bullet that was lodge in his arm out; the others were only flesh wounds.

The ride was a little somber heading back.  I found out that Lily and Davy were okay as were the other rogues.  Colin lost two in his family, Phillip being one of them that was guarding me and someone who was shot in the first gunfire battle near the cars.  Todd was not actually killed by the wolves he was fighting but the silver bullets that Ridley shot him with had entered his heart.  It was amazing he lasted as long as he did. Some of Colin’s men rounded up all the remaining men of Todd’s pack to escort them back to a council.  It seems that werewolves had some type of justice system set up that monitors the actions of werewolves.  Colin told me he would tell me more about it later. 

All I could think about right now was taking a hot shower and then going to lalala land in Colin’s heaven-like bed.  Now that the fight was over, my muscles ached and the abuse I’ve been through were pulling at my nerve center.  Somehow I fell into a restless sleep and didn’t wake until I heard the sounds of slamming car doors.

“Come on babe, we’re home.”  Colin reached in and pulled me into his chest carrying me inside of the house.  I didn’t protest and was thankful that I didn’t have to walk.  I wasn’t sure if I could because my legs and arms felt numb. 

People rushed towards us, Vicki being one of them, showing their concern. “Colin is Celeste alright?”  I felt her hands tuck a piece of hair behind my ear.

“Yes she is, she’s exhausted.  Vicki we have guests with us can you get them situated?”

“Of course.” She scampered away to take command giving out orders to people rushing around us. I barely tuned into what was going in my surroundings, as fatigue plagued my mind and body. I focused on the steady beat of Colin’s heart and the warm sanctuary his body encased around me.

We entered his bedroom suite and he immediately walked into his bathroom.  He sat me down on the counter and reached over to turn on the faucet of the tub. 

“Colin, I think I can stand and take a shower.”

“A bath would be better.  You need to soak, don’t think I haven’t notice that you are a little banged up. This will help with some of your pain.” He poured something in the water.

“Is it one of those miracle drugs?”

Colin laughed, “No, just Epson salt.”

“Oh.” I was hoping for some of that miracle drug.

“Can you get undress or do you need any help?” Colin’s indecisiveness crept in and I could tell he really didn’t want to leave me alone.  But I needed some space to take in everything that has occurred in the span of a few days.

“I think I can manage.”

“Shout if you need me.” Colin quietly left the bathroom and I groaned as I gingerly got down from the counter.  I shed my clothes and sank thankfully in the hot water.  The steam and hot water gave me immediate relief.

It was time to take stock of my life and what I truly wanted. I knew I wanted Colin, of that I was positive.  I love Colin, but was it going to enough. Should I stay and see where this takes us, or leave? I know that after everything we’ve been, leaving shouldn’t be an option. However, Pamela’s word invaded my mind planting the seeds of doubt. Was it fair to Colin to have me as his mate? Should I leave so he could have someone stronger to help him lead this pack? It was definitely evident that being a human was a disadvantage, because I was no match for their speed and strength.  Will I always be a lady in distress? Do I have what it takes to be a leader among his people? Will I be respected or look down upon because I’m a human when dealing with other packs? Can I accept all that comes with being a werewolf? And the biggest worry I had was, could I actually have sex with Colin without him splitting me in half?

((( A/N)))

Decisions.. decisions… what should Celeste do?

So did anyone guess the white wolf was Sean?