Chapter 44

We joined Pamela and Rick outside at the patio table. I half listened at the conversations around me. Pamela's squeaky voice was giving me a headache as she drone on and on about her business plan. Rick was trying to engage me in his adventures of the times he spent in Spain.

"My mother would love to meet you one day." Rick had taken a breather from his childhood stories sipping on his drink. Don't get me wrong, Rick was very nice and great to be around. It was just that I was ready to get back to Colin's and sink into that mattress made of clouds. I have been through so much in the past few days, that I couldn't wait to crawl into bed and sleep for a week.

"Where is she now?" Popping a grape into my mouth. They had brought out a tray of fruit and cheeses along with lemonade as a snack.

"She and my father are visiting relatives in Chicago." Rick answered.

"How often do they visit?"

"Not as often as I would like." His eyes landed on Pamela. "Pamela and my mom don't get along." I looked over to see Pamela self absorbed in Colin and wondered if her bitchy attitude was a part of her character. Oh my god, I was no better. I just realized that after all this time, I have no clue about Colin's family. Did he have siblings? Where were his family? Why did he move down here to take on a pack? God I'm such a selfish bitch.

"Celeste are you alright?" I jerked my head up dropping my hand from my forehead.

"Yes, of course. A little tired. Rick where are the others that we came with?"

"Those rogues? They are the boat house. They are not coming up here." Pamela ticked in before Rick could explain.

"Why not?" I was curious to hear her answer.

"Because they're rogues, that's why. How well do you know them? They might be trying to see all the stuff we have before trying to rob us blind. Or worse, kill us." Pamela snipped.

I laughed at Pamela's remarks, but stopped when her face remained serious. "Are you serious? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds. They came with us, and we told you that they were safe. They have a baby with them, for godsakes. Do you think they would try anything to endanger their child?"

"Colin, you need to teach your human mate about us. It's obvious she is ignorant of our ways." Pamela voice held a tone of condemnation. I was offended at the way she said human, like I was beneath her.

"Ignorant? If being human with an ounce of decency and compassion for others is ignorant. Then call me, Queen of Ignorant!" I was pissed and I risen out of my chair glaring down at her. Pamela's eyes glowed warning me of the beast she contained inside. I didn't care. I have seen my fair share of monsters lately that I was becoming immune and less intimidated by them.

Colin put his hand on my arm trying to interrupt the glare contest between us. "Celeste some of us has had bad experiences with rogues. I'm sure that is what Pamela is referring to." Colin was trying to take up for this bitch?

"Pamela, that's enough. If Colin and Celeste say they are safe, then I trust them, as should you." Rick voice harden a little giving her a harsh look. Pamela responded by rolling her eyes and excusing herself from the table.

"I'm sorry for my wife's behavior Celeste. If you will excuse me." Rick quickly followed his wife back into the house leaving me and Colin alone at the table.

I pinned Colin with my icy stare. "Really Colin, you were taking up for her?"

"No, I wanted to diffuse a tense situation." No, he didn't have the audacity to smile at me.