Chapter Twelve {Oath}

"I'm sorry, I don't." I tried to slam the door. It must have been too obvious; maybe I was looking as fearful as I felt.

Her hand smacked against the door I was heaving against to shut. Stunned, I stared at her hand. She was extremely strong. Too strong.

"Don't lie to me, girl."

"I'm not. I swear. I don't know a Katy."

The woman leant in closer to me, her hand managing to keep the door propped open easily. She inhaled, narrowing her eyes. "I can smell her on you."

Suddenly, she shoved back the door. My feet gave out beneath me and I flew back against the wall. My head hit it sharply and I shouted out in pain, my eyes clenching shut. Groggily, I made my hands come up to hold my head and I felt a lump forming already. A blur sped past me and I reached out blindly.

"Wait!"

I heard a scream from the kitchen. May, I thought. I used the door handle to pull myself up before I ran into the kitchen, collapsing against the doorway to stay upright. I surveyed the room. Tony was stood by the table, pressed up against the wall with his palms flat against it. His eyes were wide open yet he didn't notice me. The woman was blocking my view of May as she stood in the centre of our kitchen. She had her arms outstretched on either side of her as she took slow, purposeful steps forward.

"Katy," she whispered. Her voice was mesmerising as she spoke. I couldn't tear my eyes away from her. "Katy, we're going home. I've missed you." I could do nothing but watch as the crazed woman jumped at May and grabbed her with a speed that none of us normal people would have been able to predict or dodge.

"Let me go!"

May's shout stirred me. The woman had her arms encircling May completely. Her arm was wrapped around May's back so her arms were held down and the other one came across her shoulders, holding her closer. The woman was taller than May by several inches and she balanced her chin on her head.

"You lied to me." The woman's voice was chilling. I noticed her arms tighten around May before she could even begin to struggle. Alarmed, I stepped forward.

"What?" May quietly asked. She had stopped struggling. She sounded confused.

"Not you, Katy." The woman adjusted her grip on May - or was it Katy? - so that she was held against her side. Her gaze narrowed on me, her eyes turning dark. "Her. I should kill her for hiding you for so long. For six years, Katy."

The woman took a step forwards. I gasped and mirrored her steps backwards immediately. "Sarah, stop!" May shouted. I saw her contorted expression. Half of her wanted to stop the woman, Sarah, from charging at me, from potentially ripping me to shreds and killing me, but the other selfish and wise half wanted to sacrifice me to save herself. Surprisingly, I didn't feel mad. "Stop! Sarah!"

May's words weren't breaking through to the woman. She looked feral. I was turning so I walked towards the table, where Tony was cowering behind it with the same wide eyes.

"You have no right to Katy. None," she hissed. Her hands slammed down on the table and it shook. She grasped onto the sides of it and I gawked at her as she flipped it, eliminating the only obstacle between us. My palms were sweating and I knew I was shaking. I looked around for an escape that I already knew wasn't there.

"I didn't-"

"Sarah, please, stop!" May interrupted me. She skidded between Sarah and the collapsed table, placing her hands on Sarah's shoulders, trying to hold her back. "She didn't hide me. She doesn't even live here. She is his girlfriend. We met yesterday." Her words were so convincing I almost believed them.