Chapter Twenty One {Divulge}

I had a lack of black dresses that were appropriate for a funeral. Worse, I had a lack of black clothes aside from my jeans and jumpers. Aurelia gave me a straight dress - black, just above the knees - which went straight into a bag Dillan was also using; I didn't even have to to ask for the clothes, she just knew. Before Dillan was able to, and when he had his back turned, I managed to sneak away for a shower, knowing I wouldn't be able to have one before the funeral. It was going to be a several hour journey and it was one I wasn't looking forward to.

I had taken the bag downstairs, after the rest of our necessities had been thrown in, and was anxiously waiting by the front door for Dillan. Aurelia at that point had decided to go for a nap (under orders from Fletcher) as she excused herself, saying it was because the past day had been tiring. Fletcher was approaching me when I snapped out of my daydreaming.

"When are you leaving?"

Gripping the bag's handles tightly, I bounced on my feet. "Whenever he comes down really."

Fletcher nodded. Absently, I realised that we hadn't spoken since me returning. It wasn't intentional on my part, although definitely fortunate for me, but it only made the decreasing distance between us uncomfortable. Desperately, I glanced to the stairs but Fletcher caught my eye. "Anya?"

"Mmhm?"

For a second, he continued to watch me. He brought his hands in front of him and meekly looked at me. "Did I make things bad?"

Wide eyed, I shook my head. "What? No, of course not! No. Not at all."

His smile was sad. "I have, haven't I? I wish I could change that evening or even what I said in that car journey back. I didn't mean to bring up your ring-" Alarmed, I quickly looked to the stairs and sighed when Dillan wasn't near us. Fletcher nodded. "Okay, I won't mention that again."

"Thank you," I muttered weakly. Fletcher blew out his cheeks before tugging at his hair. He suddenly advanced and brought me into his arms, the bag squashed between us.

"I've been terrible, I'm sorry. I'll be kinder again from now on, Anya. I know how scary this must have been and I wish I had paid more attention that evening. I'm sorry for Tony's death, too." Fletcher held me closer for a second before pushing me back.

Shrugging, I weakly smiled. "Don't be. It wasn't your fault - none of it."

Fletch's smile wasn't sincere. "I know you don't believe that but thank you for saying it. You're the best sister I could have had."

Quietly and awkwardly, I laughed. "To be."

Fletcher squeezed my shoulder. "Officially, yes. But you'll be no more of a sister to me then than you are now and I want you to feel at home here again. I'm sorry, sis." Sounding remorseful, Fletcher then added, "I still think it was right for you to know, though."

My breaths froze as Fletcher quickly embraced me again and kissed my cheek. "Don't take your anger out on Dillan." He broke apart from me and picked up the bag I had dropped from shock, handing it to me. "We'll see you soon."

As we broke apart, Dillan rounded the corner from the stairs. I kept my face impassive as he glanced between us.

"Are you ready to go?" I nodded immediately. Dillan greeted his brother with a nod and smile before reaching around me and opening the door.

"After you." I slipped around him, fully aware of both his eyes and Fletcher's trailing after me before I eagerly jumped into the car and out of sight.

*

"Left or right?"

Yawning, I shifted in my seat and tapped Dillan's phone screen. "Left." He nodded and turned as I locked his screen again. Half an hour into the journey, he had finally accepted that he needed directions but I had to use his phone because I still couldn't afford a new one.