Chapter Seventeen {Repetition}

Focusing on the bland taste of milk and cereal, I listened to sound of crunching as I ate. No one else was awake, it was ten in the morning, yet I had managed to have a shower and sneak downstairs to eat, despite Dillan being in the adjacent room. Exhaling, I began to chew another spoonful. I dropped the spoon into the half full bowl and held my face in my hands. Maybe I wasn't eating enough because nothing was tasteful to me anymore.

I jumped as a hand came to rest on my side. "Morning," he whispered. Dillan's fingers remained on me as he leant down, balancing his chin on my shoulder. He pressed a chaste kiss to my cheek as he moved back to leaning against me. "Did you sleep well?"

His pleasant mood didn't go unnoticed. I toyed with my fingers silently on the island's counter. "Yes," I said, nodding. I hoped that maybe my hair would have dislodged him but the opposite happened. My fingers tightened on the counter edges when Dillan's arms abruptly came to wrap around my stomach. His warmth enveloped me and he pressed himself as close as possible, splaying his fingers out across my sides. I felt my stomach drop as he gently brought his face in closer to my neck.

He hummed. "Why did you wake up so early? It's not like you to be up so soon."

I tapped my nails against the table. "I couldn't get back to sleep, I guess." Again, he hummed. I knew he was about to question me again so I quickly intercepted, mumbling, "How was your sleep?"

"Better than it has been."

With an inhale, he released me. I relaxed and leant on the counter. Dillan walked around the island and began making a cup of coffee. "Would you like one?" I shook my head. His lip quirked up as he turned around.

I straightened. "What?"

He shrugged. "I was just wondering if you wanted a drink, that's all," he replied. I heard the twinge of humour as he spoke. I observed him as he grabbed a spoon to stir the hot drink before he turned, resting against the counter. He swallowed a large mouthful before he noticed what, presumably, was my confused face. "I wanted to know if you still hate coffee. Really. That's all."

Satisfied, I smiled slightly. "I still hate it."

Dillan swirled the black liquid around the cup. His eyes brightened as he teased, "I guess it would be inappropriate to kiss you now then."

Uncomfortably, I laughed. More so than the awkwardness it would bring with it, I vehemently loathed the taste of coffee. "It's probably best not to."

Slowly, the light mood faded as Dillan drank his remaining coffee. I contemplated whether or not it would be simpler for the both of us if I left the room, excusing myself with some poor excuse we both knew was fake but it put an end to both of our suffering.

Dillan placed his mug down on the counter behind him and looked up to face me. He studied me for a moment, almost as if he was sizing me up, then he tucked his fingers into some pyjama bottom pockets. "Would you like to do something with me today?"

Warily, I studied him, too. "Like what?"

Complacency transformed his face. "I need to go to the shops. Do you want to tag along?"

"Um," I forced out. His fingers twitched within his pockets before he hid them behind his back. The mask he had hidden behind cracked as his hopeful smile almost fell. I was shocked to see how desperate he was to be with me, even if it meant going to the shops together. "Sure." It's a public space. I would be fine.

He grinned. The smile brought a small one to my face. He strode away from the counter quickly and brushed back some of my hair from my forehead, laying a sincere kiss against my skin. "Maybe we could buy some hair dye. I'm not so sure I like this colour, love."