Chapter Twenty Four {Brother}

One second I was stirring the pasta in the pan, the next I was bursting out of the back door. The chill in the air didn't bother me as I stumbled out, freezing. For a second, I remained stationary and inhaled; then, my eyes shot open, narrowing on the path so nearly concealed as it led into the trees. An urge overcame me as I (fought to control it, tripping over myself, feeling every muscle stretch, every inch of skin contort as my eyes widened and pain danced across me before I collapsed, so close to hitting the ground. I landed on two front paws and immediately took off. A slamming echoed behind me and I recognised the footprints of my mum following. She shouted before she, too, shifted, trying to catch up to me.

Between footfalls, I inhaled. The invigorating scent was slowly getting closer but it was fading faster with each passing second. I pushed myself faster and the sound of running behind me stopped but I continued, feeling my speed when the wind whistled past.

I inhaled again. Wide eyed, I dug my feet into the ground. Dirt sprayed up across me but it didn't bother me because if the scent was right then my mate was next to me. Steadily, I rotated, which was quite difficult with a big frame, as I now had. If I could have frowned when shifted, I would have. I knew I wasn't making a mistake. How could I mistake my mate? Desperately, I span around again, inhaling deeper; that scent was still surrounding me yet I couldn't see anyone.

"I'm up here," a voice shouted. I twisted around, shuffling back several steps to look up into the trees. Sat on a branch was the most beautiful woman I had ever laid my eyes on. "I'm only coming down if you shift back." As soon as her words processed, I was standing upright, wiping the dirt on my hands off onto my shirt.

"Come down."

She swung off, dangling with one hand gripping onto the branch. I stared at her before lunging forwards, arms outstretched beneath the branch. She laughed. "What are you doing?"

"Making sure you don't fall and die. Let go, I'll catch you."

"I wouldn't die." I watched her roll her eyes. For precaution, I remained underneath the branch and she let go. I tensed, ready to catch her, but she instead jumped to the side, landing next to me. "See? Fine."

"How did you-"

"Not the point right now."

"You're right," I agreed. Smiling, I moved forwards and as I was about to embrace my mate for the first time, I stopped - not willingly. I moved again but each time I couldn't advance any further. She remained smirking. Straightening, I stated, "You're a witch."

"And you're a werewolf, which Anya just found out."

"No, I'm a- what?"

"Anya saw you shift. You ran out to find me and she was sat in the window but you ignored her and shifted anyway."

Frowning, I crossed my arms. "How do you know this? Oh, and what's your name? I'm Fletcher."

"I'm Aurelia. I know this because you're mate, I had a vision of her running away and I had to make it happen. Again, I'm sorry but I'm not staying."

"Wait, slow down. Anya's run away? What do you mean you're not staying?"

Aurelia's smile warmed me but the lack of love towards me in her eyes chilled that feeling. She glanced down at her wrist and I noticed a sleek, black watch. "No, she's currently running away. And I'm not staying with you; I only came to set the future."

"We need to go, now." I snorted. "And like hell you're not coming with me."

Apparently, her magic had failed because when I stode forwards and wrapped my arms around her, tugging her up against my chest, although she struggled she couldn't dislodge me. Suppressing a triumphant smile - I had my mate snuggled against me, why wouldn't I be triumphant? - I began to run, sprint, back to the house like my life depended on it.