Chapter 28

That night I missed my father the most. I missed my mother, too. When I was little, I drew a picture of our family for the first time. It all started with a big round face and some arms and legs sticking out. That was my perfect life even with smudges and poorly drawn lines.

Now, my life was a whole mess of other things with new thoughts, new feelings, regrets, big dreams, and enormous doubts. I wondered if I could ever recognize my little crayon picture anymore.

My room back at home was complete with my special ceiling design. The bare wall by my window was cracked like a tree branch hanging over. I became restless one rainy day that summer and painted leaves over branches. I put bird nest up there, too, along with little baby birds peeking out with their patchy feathers and their mouths opened in hunger.

I used my watercolors from way back when I was five. The set was my birthday present. It had six different blues and enough odd hues and shades to finish another galaxy on my ceiling. It looked like the one in a science book with a complete solar system.

I liked my moon the most. I painted it in a silver shade and it was always the one that brightened my night. One day, my Dad came into my room and saw the wall and ceiling for the first time. He was shocked as if the art on the wall was a sight of rebellion.

"Oh, no! Nikita, what did you do?!" he said. But as he caught his breath, he stared thoughtfully and calmed down. He stood there for a moment then moved to stand at different spots in my room, and finally by the tree picture near my window. He climbed on my chair and took a closer look up at the ceiling. When he was done, he laid down on my bed and stared at the galaxy without another word.

But before he left the room, Dad simply looked at me and said, "Nikita, my little monkey, where did you get this talent from?"

I just shrugged, and Dad would smile then patted my head and whispered, "Your mom would be so proud."

It made the lump form in my throat. I used to often wondered what it would feel like to have my mother's arms around me. Sometimes I thought I could almost make the feeling real, but it disappeared so quickly. I thought about Queen Jayara and the sadness in her eyes before I fell asleep.

Another week passed. I couldn't wait to meet the princess again. The long wait made me feel like a barren field, blasted and parched, waiting for the rain. Just the thought of seeing Amarisa already revived my heart with joy. After the night I kissed her, I knew that somewhere deep down, the princess also felt something for me. Something that slowly bloomed like a flower as spring season approached.

The astral music echoed in the distance. I could see several Apsaras practicing their graceful moves on the wooden stage. A warm feeling rose from the pit of my stomach as I walked into the hall. My princess was already there, dancing in the middle of a group of crested dancers. I was enchanted by her beauty, which my other world would never know of.

Sunlight graced over her bare shoulders and angelic face. I caught a whiff of her perfume in the breeze. When Amarisa turned around and saw me, she stopped dancing, looking like a deer frozen by the fear of a hunter.

I smiled at her. This time, instead of frowning at me, Amarisa lowered her gaze and tried so hard to hide her blush. I grinned wider, wishing we could be alone again.

Kesar went off to take her place without saying a word. I realized then that the maiden might have noticed our unspoken exchanges. This left a bitter taste in my mouth but I swallowed back the guilt.

With a quiet sigh, I decided to join Amarisa. The princess now fidgeted when I approached her with a bow and a flirty smile.

"I must say your dancing is a beautiful sight to see indeed," I said. Amarisa did not look at me, but she tried to speak in a voice of authority.