Chapter 62

When I came to, I felt myself being lifted into the air. A groan escaped my lips as the pain seized me again in a vice-like grip. Despite, the daunting agony, my hazy eyes found many bright faces. They were all maidens, but they weren't normal humans. Their skins shimmered with light.

"Bring her to my chamber," said a female voice. Her voice alone felt like a cool balm on my skin.

"Yes, my lady," said the other voices, which were also pure melodies.

I had no strength in my body. All my limbs felt like wood, but I was still aware of my surrounding. They placed me on a soft bed. Then I heard the sound of heavy doors closing soon after. Now, it was only silence.

"You have come unexpectedly to me, poor earthly one," the same female voice said. "I cannot stand seeing you in this terrible state and must relieve you from this suffering."

I felt a pair of nimble hands running over my shoulders and down to my chest. Then there was a touch of brilliant lips pressing against mine. The pain slowly ebbed away like retreating sea waves.

I remembered nothing else.

When I opened my eyes again, I found myself naked, except for a golden shawl wrapped around me.

My body had regained some strength, and there was no pain.

"Where am I?" I murmured to myself. I looked around the chamber. Everywhere was beautiful and strange. Every wall and every pillar all sparkled in a glittering haze.

A moment later, I heard the doors opened. A handful of maidens floated effortlessly towards me. I recoiled in my bed. They bowed and brought me my clothes.

"Who are you, people?" I asked. "Where is this place?"

"Your arrival is destined by our Lord King," one of the maidens said in a chiming tone. "Amaravati is where you are now. You were brought here to heaven."

"Am I dead?" I said.

The maidens let out a soft giggle, but they didn't say anything further. They asked me to get dressed and ready. Strangely, this place seemed to have a calming effect on my nerves. I was too curious to be frightened.

After I was adorned in proper clothing, they escorted me out of the chamber. We went into a courtyard with red and gold umbrellas shielding me from the brilliancy of this strange new world.

The outside view took my breath away. The whole place was as wide as the sky itself, stretching far beyond my sight. I shaded my eyes and looked at the waterfalls coming from those crystal mountains. Golden temples with their manicured gardens stood in the most stunning form. Their doors and windows were encased with rubies and diamonds.

We passed through a tall golden gate, which opened by itself.

I walked in silent awe along the cloud-covered crystal causeway. The cold air brushed against my skin like soft feathers. Pleasant breezes carried the perfume of rose-colored flowers to my nose. I knew this was truly heaven, but this still surpassed my imagination.

They led me to the largest complex hovering in the air. It was built over the summit of the five-peak golden mountain.

"What is that?"

"The Heavenly Sky Palace of King Indra," they told me.

"He expects your audience today and you must see him without delay."

When we entered through the grand doors, I found the floor was made of jade and pearl. The pillars were crystal and diamonds. Each tall window was gold-gilded with floral patterns.

At last, they brought me to the great throne hall. Other celestial maidens floated forward and assisted me from there.

When I lifted my eyes to the ceiling, I was faced with a number of tall colossal beings sitting on the thrones. They were gods without a doubt. More of them began to appear out of the golden air. Each one was majestic and beautiful in his or her flowing silk and golden headdresses.

My mouth fell open.

"Oh...Meru...gods," I breathed.

Suddenly, a loud thunder cracked and wisps of energy twirled around the hall. Seven beautiful maidens came into forms and filled those empty thrones. They sat elegantly side by side, dressing in jewel embroidered clothes woven in all forms of golden hue.

Tusita had told me about her divine sisters as the Devis of Heaven. It must be them. Another loud thunder shook the entire palace, and I fought the urge to run for cover. Afterward, the celestial maidens left me on my own. But out of the golden mist, a tall man came into form. He sat at the highest of all the thrones.

There he was, Indra, the Lord of thunder and storm and the king of gods and man. He was staring down at me with his brilliant eyes. His skin was a reddish color. To his right was a golden altar which hosted his mighty Viraj, the Masterbolt. The lightning hissed with vibrating energy. To his left was his indestructible bow made of the rainbow itself.

My knees buckled to the floor. Under normal circumstance, I would have been wildly terrified, but now I was just mesmerized.

"Am I dead?" I asked the same unanswered question. My mind was still swimming in haziness. Some of the goddesses giggled.

"For all your hardship and doubts, you are not dead," the King of Gods said in his powerful voice. "You have come hither to Amaravati, my heavenly realm, by my bidding."

"Why am I here if I'm not dead?" I said in a more panicky voice.

"Many days passed since the immortals have been on the quarrel over you and your unfolded journey," Indra said. "Now that you are here, I can see that the Fate is still weaving your destiny into shape."

"What are the gods arguing about, er...my lord?" I said. "I'm just a normal girl unworthy of such attention."

"You have no knowledge of how important you are, but one day, you will," he said. "I pity you and those you hold dear, young one, for it is my weakness when it comes to great warriors."

"But I'm not a great warrior," I said with a confused look. "You must have seen that I'm far too weak for any greatness."

"Young child, you will have power more subtle and more fluid than any dulled warriors have ever borne," Indra said with a brilliant handsome smile. "Once you're ready, I must explain to you what your role shall be in greater details. Now, you must rest until your wounds are mended and your health is restored."

"But my lord, I have a quest to succeed today," I said. "I can't stay."

He waved his reddish hand at me.

"Heed what I say, how ever long you remain in my palace, no time shall pass in my realm," the Sky Lord said. "Now go and nurse back your strength. We, the gods, will have other decisions to make."

I wanted to say something else, but I couldn't. It was like my voice had left me. All I could do was bowing in obedience and let the maidens take me away.