Chapter 38

After we finished giving encouraging words to Tusita, we stepped back as she began to march towards the arena.

"Hey, wait!"

Vorac went to her and spun her around then pulled Tusita over for a long hard kiss on the lips. Tepi dropped her face into her palm and sighed. Samudra and I blushed at their heart-melting moment.

"Can't you wait till nighttime?" Tusita murmured. Then they parted with Vorac slapping her armored arm.

"For good luck, silly" Vorac said with a look, making Tusita grin.

"If I win, will you reward me with something sweeter than your lips?" Tusita whispered. Biting her bottom lip shyly, Vorac gave a slight nod. I wished Amarisa could also give me a good luck kiss if my name was called.

But would she be ashamed of being emotionally involved with an ungodly combatant like me?

I had no skills or magical gifts like the others. No wonder why everyone wanted to test me, to see if I had hidden power inside when forced to. But I was certain that once I got out there, I would be dead meat.

I glanced at my princess again. Her nervous eyes caught mine in the midst of tension. I wondered if I was the one who burdened her heart.

Morokot was waiting with her arms crossed over her chest. Her hair cascaded down her richly crested armor that sent off a reddish glow.

"Tusita, wait!" Samudra said, looking coyly. "Please, go easy on her."

It didn't take long for us girls to understand.

"Hmm...looks like I'm not the one who plays with fire here," Tusita said with a laugh.

The Guru heralded a new battle. Wrought also in golden armor and silk clad, Tusita stepped towards her opponent. Her shiny greaves that made soft clanks as she walked. The handsome girl earned a few gasps of awe from the maidens, which made Vorac grimace.

Our fiercest friend set foot into the wide field. Morokot frowned at the great golden bow fashioned upon Tusita's back.

"Are you still much of a coward to bring along your Gandiva?" she said, holding her chin up. "Surely, it shall be better if we fight with unarmed strength."

"No worries." Tusita shrugged. "Glad you whine about my bow for I know you will cower in fear once I wield it."

Morokot glared at her. Tusita made her divine Astra vanish into a plume of gold dust. Morokot smirked as if she had been waiting for. Immediately, vicious tongues of red flame burst to life. They curled and danced over Morokot's hands. Her hair wildly lashed about her shoulders in the powerful blaze.

"Morokot! You said 'unarmed'!" Tusita yelled in outrage.

"I'm not armed with any bow or sword, am I?" Morokot laughed, amused with her successful trick.

Before Tusita spoke again, a ball of blazing red fire slammed into her. Our friend shielded the flames using her forearms as her only protection. The fire split open her fighting guards. I could see hot smoke coming off the scorched armor.

"Hey! That's my favorite pair of vambraces, you idiot!" Tusita said, rubbing her arms from the burn.

"Just so you know, if you poke at a fire, it will flare even more fiercer," Morokot replied with a smirk. Flames continued to burn across her body like frenzy dancing tongues. She opened her palms and raised another vibrant burst of red flare. I prayed that Tusita wouldn't end up like a roasted chicken.

In a swift motion, Morokot hurled the fireball forward. Tusita deflected the glaring blaze with a spinning kick in midair. The daughter of Agni hurled several more fireballs, but Tusita dodged and blocked them with grace. She looked like a dancer moving with ease.