Chapter 51

I was standing under a lone leafy Bodhi tree. Its branches stretched out to one side for the alms of light. The sky was glowing from the blissful early dawn as I was waiting for Amarisa inside the forbidden Asoak Garden.

But I was still mourning over my companionship with Kesar. It had ended terribly with the constant nagging of guilt and regret gnawing away at my heart. Was I being too harsh on the poor Kennari?

She had not caused anything that would interfere with or belie my love for Amarisa. The maiden even went on pleading and even said things that should have been better left unsaid.

'If you don't love me, you can still bed me.'

Kesar, what have I done to you?

I had exploited her heart and polluted her purity. Yet she was still willing to sacrifice this much for a deceitful person like me.

Perhaps, this consequential action was necessary. I would not allow myself to torment the maiden's heart ever again.

"Please forgive me, Kesar," I whispered into the gentle wind, hoping it would carry my words to her. I rubbed my brows to divert the guilty thoughts.

After a few moments passed in solitary, I caught the same dazzling sight of my lover. She came through a grove of trees and a bed of flowers. Then she smiled the sweetest of all smiles.

My heart skipped again. Her smile arrested all my grief and sadness. No medicine could relieve me better than Amarisa.

I dashed through the beautiful garden towards her.

The princess expressed her equal delight by moving swiftly with those delicate dancing feet. We met halfway on the stone bridge.

But before encompassing her in my arms again, I paused to admire the beauty. Amarisa sparkled like the finest jewel on the face of the earth.

The hazy sunrise dissipated the denser vapors of the early dawn. I felt the gentle luminosity from the horizon brightened our faces. Hers was more radiant than anything I'd ever seen.

But the princess looked at me in concerns. Her hands went to my cheeks and caressed my skin.

"You looked like you didn't catch any serene sleep at all," she spoke softly. Her eyes lingered on my face. "Was the outing last night too tiresome?"

I shook my head and came closer to wrap my arms around her waist.

"Nothing can weaken me as the thought of seeing you today energizes me again," I said with a smile. Amarisa smiled back in relief.

"So what are we doing in such early daybreak?" she asked and leaned her head to rest on my shoulder. I tightened my hold around her and inhaled her sweet scent. The sheer contact sent a wave of vibrating zeal through my body. I doubted the princess knew of such power her love had over me.

"I shall take you beyond the clouds and over the mountains," I whispered. Amarisa lifted her face to me. I smiled at the look of curiosity on her face.

"Is that true?" she asked. I nodded back.

"Yes, that is true. We will travel far and wide through this beautiful morning sky, and we will find someplace we can frolic till sunset. Just the two of us and no one else."

Amarisa let out a giggle.

"And how are we going to accomplish all these incredible things?" she said, trying to hide her skeptical tone. I just took her hand and made her follow me.

Under the big tree stood my beautiful winged horse, Pisey.

The white Ashva bared her large straight teeth and greeted us with a snort. She was still munching a mouthful of some red flowers. It smeared her lips with a red hue. Her large white wings folded to her sides, itching to spread open and catch the winds with them again.