Chapter 76

The day of our departure started when the brilliant sun ascended above the dark horizon. Before I left my chamber, Amarisa had come to me. She held me as if to soak me into her skin. She wished me the best of luck and my safe return, but the lovely princess seemed unsettling. Her eyes were dimmed with worries as she looked at me.

When my avatar friends arrived, I got into their chariot and rode away. Kesar had also prepared various necessities for my voyage in case I needed them.

We had reached the city harbor at dawn. The Guru announced some rules of the game, but the quest was simple. We must get a scale from the Rainbow Fish without harming it then bring it back to the city.

Then we boarded the boats and rowed through the hand of the river which stretched towards the north.

As we went farther from the city, I spotted Kesar with her golden wings extended, flying along the river to see me off. I waved at her in reassurance and to stop her from following. She watched warily from a distance as our boat plowed away, taking me to the sea.

Beside us were forty-nine other boats from the Navy of the King. They accompanied us until noon, and soon we smelled the first whiff of salty breeze from the ocean. The commoners and soldiers awaited us by the trading port on the beautiful white beach. They cheered for their avatars. The others threw us flowers as a sign of good fortune. The drums began to beat, signaling our cue to leave.

We walked up the ramp to our ship and leaned over the railing. Our ship was a real Angkorian warship. It was decorated with scale-like carvings on both sides. The wood art had the finest patterns with gilded gold. I could see a magnificent Naga head sculpted at the prow-piece. Its fierce seven heads and gem-like eyes looked out to the open sea.

The entire ship was sleek and slim like the point of a knife, meaning to cut through the waves. The soldiers began to heave up the anchor and loosened the canvas. The rest took their seats at the oars, which fringed the boat like eyelashes.

Issarak and his avatars also boarded their warship. It was black and oily with bronze encased, slightly bigger than ours. The masts were as tall as the trees they had been, pointing to the sky. There were iron nets and chains instead of normal ropes. The avatars of his team stood at attention as their captain, who was Issarak himself, gave them orders. I watched his purple cloak stirring in the breeze. Issarak was a true leader, I must admit, and that made me wonder why the gods did not choose him instead of me.

Samudra did not join our crew, but surprisingly, Morokot took his place. She was now complaining about seasickness soon after she stepped onto the deck.

There was no cloud in the sky, a perfect day to set sail, yet the wind was not generous. But without further delay, we hauled our ship off the shoreline. I stood on the front deck when Issarak and his clan grinned at us like some lunatic pirates. Then his sails caught the wind and picked up speed without an effort.

Then we saw the wind god's daughter, standing at the prow with her hair flirting in the air. She watched the tides fall away from the hull with her hands behind her back. Issarak's laughter irritated us. Their ship began sailing ahead in ease.

"That's not fair!" Morokot cried out in frustration as we watched them moving steadfast into the sun.

We went back to carry on the work that must be done. Vorac's eyes were studying the map while Atith glanced up at the sky. Tusita took the liberty of steering the wheel.

Once our ship was in the motion by her sails, I told them to follow the eye of the wind although I didn't know why. We cruised through the gentle waves for what seemed like forever.