Chapter 66

I was congratulated not only by the avatars but also by the King himself. He held a feast for everyone since both sides of the children did well in the quest.

Of course, there were still two more tasks to go before we know who would get to lead the war. I didn't want to get my hope up yet.

"You almost look like me when I'm radiant," Vorac whispered to me again, not out of self-centeredness but out of fact. "It's like something inside you has been unleashed and is now seeping into your bones and flowing through your veins."

"Well," Atith chimed in. "Who is she, if not miraculous and radiant? Who is she, if not destined for greatness and fame?"

I flinched as the feeling of regret stirred around me like windblown ash because I knew it wasn't that.

After the feast, I was summoned secretly to my mother in the quietest chamber of the palace. She showered me with hugs and kisses and told me how proud she was. She also told me how terribly sorry she felt for what I had gone through. I reassured her that I was fine, and she must not fear for me. I would make her proud and save her empire from all harms.

Then I told her everything I kept hidden from my friends. I narrated all that happened in fine detail. She listened to my encounter with the Lord of Heaven, and how I had a glimpse with fresh eyes of the Age of Destruction.

"All horrible things will happen, mother, if I don't follow the path that has been chosen for me," I said.

"Oh, sweet child of mine, for once, I feel so ill-hearted," she said and held me tighter to her chest. Although I wasn't her daughter in this lifetime, I still could see how it had pained her deeply.

But there was nothing she could do. My mother was bound by her oath to the gods. Nothing could untangle this thread anymore. We sat in each other's arms and wept.

I went back to my chamber again. Indra's power had delayed the course of the sun and the moon, spinning a single night into the length of many. I was up in Amaravati for many days and nights, but here, everything was just as I left it.

When I entered my bedroom, Kesar was standing by my bed holding one of my shirts to her nose. She was in her bird form. Her golden wings lay unfolded over the floor. It seemed as if she did not wish to stay for long. I heard her sniff as her hand moved swiftly to her face to wipe away tears.

My heart ached in my chest.

I cleared my throat, and Kesar snapped her head to me. The winged-maiden grew pale with fear.

"My...my lady?" she stuttered. Her familiar voice was coated with tears. Kesar put down my clothe on the bed and spread her wings again. She was about to fly out of the room when I stopped her.

"No, Kesar, wait!" I said.

She stopped at my words, and I was glad she still listened even after all I had done to her. I knew I deserved nothing from the maiden, but I had hoped that she would forgive me. Kesar turned to me before she lifted her eyes to mine.

"Please don't go." I walked towards her.

"My lady...I'm sorry...I promise to never let you see me ever again," Kesar said and bowed in a genuine apology. "I was so terribly worried that I forgot my banishment. I heard so many rumors from the wild birds. They would not stop troubling my heart. My worries drove me shamelessly here. Please, forgive me."

It forced burning tears to my eyes. Remorse took over as I stared at my faithful friend.

"Kesar, look at me," I said.

She slowly raised her face. Her eyes flickered with surprise and also traces of forbidden longing. She was glad to see me, needless to say.

Then I pulled her into my arms. I held her so tightly I could feel the pounding in her chest.

"I'm so sorry for what I have done to you," I whispered as tears streamed down my cheeks. "I was foolish to treat you so unkindly. Please forgive me, Kesar."

"I never blame you, my lady," Kesar whispered. "There is nothing to forgive."

Relief washed over me again.

"Thank you, Kesar," I said and pulled away.

"Are you and the princess alright?" she asked in concern as she stared at me. "Why do you look so sad?"

At the mention of Amarisa, my legs gave way. It was as if the weight of my guilt had caught up to me, and I soon found myself crumbling down. A great tightness gripped my chest. I dropped to my knees and cried.

"My lady!" Kesar put her arms around my shoulders. My maiden was shocked by my unexpected wave of emotions. She kept stroking my face with worried eyes.

"I have deceived her," I choked with tears. Kesar didn't understand, but she held me to her chest and wiped away my tears.

Until after I could compose myself again that I began to explain what happened. Kesar listened quietly and did not release me from her gentle embrace.

"I met Lady Kemira, a goddess and a daughter of the King of Gods," I said in a hollow tone. "She favored me, and I...I have lain with her in heaven."

This part, I did not tell anyone, not even my mother. Kesar didn't say anything. I could hear her breaths in my ears. She was thinking. I was trembling at the thought of her being disgusted by what I had done.

Then I heard her long drawn out sigh and looked up. The Kennari gazed back at me with steady eyes. I was waiting for her to leave me to my shame, but she remained there, unmoving.

"Please, don't hate me, Kesar. I don't know who else I could talk to," I said, laying my head against her chest.

"My lady," she spoke softly. "Despite what happened, I do not blame you for what you did, and neither do I have the right to pardon you. This must be the intention of the gods and you are not at fault."

"I knew you would understand me," I said. "I know you're the only one who would accept me no matter what."

I went to hold her again. Kesar didn't want to see my grief and despair and would not stay away from me.

"Kesar, will you be my friend again?" I asked. The Kennari's loving face soon lit up with a smile.

"Each moment that I was not able to come near you was like a drop of my bleeding heart that wasted away. To be your friend is my greatest honor, my lady, as long as I could see your face every day."

I hugged her tighter in my arms.

We stayed like that for a long moment before we heard the groaning of my chamber doors.

"I think that must be the princess," Kesar told me. We quickly rose from the floor.

"Nikita?" Amarisa's voice called out. Kesar bowed at me as if to encourage me to go. I was hesitant, but she led me towards the door.

It wasn't because I didn't want to see Amarisa. It was because I was nervous to face her again. I hadn't had the time to compose myself when Amarisa came into the room.

I realized Kesar was gone. She must have left through the window.

"I had been praying in my heart all day for your safe return," Amarisa said then she threw her arms around me. "How are you, my love? I heard you were wounded."

"I am well. Don't worry yourself," I said, and she pulled away to look at me as if to look for any trace of injuries on my body.

"Oh, bless you!" she sighed in relief and hugged me again. "I could not rest if I didn't come to see that you are alright."

"I love you," I said and smoothed her hair. "Everything is fine."