6. Save Your Tears

{Sarah}

Trevor catches me at the beginning of the new week to ask about our progress.

   "Did we find anything?"

   I raise my eyebrow at him. "Unless you did some digging while I wasn't around. Then in that case the answer is no."

   "We gotta find that other clue, Campbell. Try to anticipate the next move."

   "It'll come to us. We just have to be patient." Personally I'm hoping it won't put us right in the path of the perpetrator.

   Just as we round the corner, the both of us nearly collide with Kitty, who seems both shocked and pleased to see us.

   "Trevor!" she squeaks, and I distinctly catch a blush on her cheeks. "And...Sarah, right?"

   "Hey, Kitty." I smile at her, because when she's not insisting that I take pictures of something that I clearly have no experience in, she's really not so bad.

   "How's it going, Kitty?" Trevor gives her a lopsided grin, which, again, even though I can tell she's clearly trying to hide it, she blushes again.

   "I was just...I was...never mind...never mind. Fancy running into you two again, huh?" She seems flustered and more than a little nervous, worrying at her lip. Her eyes dart between us, staying on neither of us for more than a couple seconds. Her blush deepens.

   "Well, you're such a prominent presence around here. How could we not?" Trevor says, putting an arm around me and squeezing.

   The effect on Kitty is instant. Her brown eyes widen, and she steps back to take both of us in. I realize what she must be thinking, and an alarm bell goes off in my head.

   Trevor doesn't seem to have caught it. "Kitty? What's the matter?"

   She shakes her head. "It's nothing...nothing. You have a good day, okay? I...I gotta go. I should go."

   Then she spins on her heel and rushes off. I duck out from under Trevor's arm, turning to face him.

   "I think you have an admirer, Trevor."

   "What? Kitty? No." He shakes his head. "She was clearly stressed about something."

   "Trevor," I shake my head. I may have been woefully underprepared for when Cam asked me out, but Trevor is even more so. "You didn't see the way she was looking at you? I know that look. I probably look at Cam that way. And when you put your arm around me like that...I think she thinks we're a couple."

   "That's ridiculous," he says, furrowing his brow at me. "We're just friends."

   "She doesn't know that." I have to tread carefully. Talking about this stuff with him is like trying not to scare off a deer. He's ready to bolt at the first sign of danger.

   "You're not pulling my leg, are you, Campbell? 'Cause this isn't funny." He seems confused and more than a little surprised at this new revelation.

   I sigh. I forget that he hasn't had a girlfriend since that one he dated for a week. "No. I'm not kidding. I want you to pay attention to the signs she's giving, okay? If they're what I think they are, and what I recognize them to be, then she really does like you."

   "But I..." he starts, but I silence him, a finger to his lips.

   "Trevor. I know that you said people—and specifically girls—avoid you because you curse in Elvish. Personally I think that's better than what a lot of people are saying these days. But you have to trust me. If Kitty really does like you, she won't care about that."