7. Bad At Love

{Cameron}

Well, I'd say my girlfriend's an official matchmaker. Now that Trevor knows Kitty likes him and vice versa, I see them together all the time. Sarah says that since Kitty sort of did the same thing for us, it was only a matter of time before she wanted to return the favor. And now Green Phoenix gets the girl too. I never thought I'd see it. He didn't believe me at first, but I'd known it all along.

   I'm just glad she's going to the homecoming dance with me. Last year I took Kaelie and it ended badly. It mainly consisted with a very angry round of kissing followed by some slaps. All by her, to my face, of course. At least, that's what I remember.

   Who, incidentally, we run into coming out of bio class together.

   "Oh. Hello there, Cameron. And Sarah, isn't it?" She sneers at her name, and I see her eyes flash pink. Don't do anything stupid. Please, Kaelie. You'll blow this whole damn thing wide open.

   "Nice to see you too, Kaelie," I say loudly before the claws start coming out. "You're in top form today."

   "Like you care, Cameron." Her eyes flicker to me. Stay away from me, they threaten.

   "Hey. What if I actually do care?" I shrug, trying to keep myself as unnoticeably as possible between them. After seeing that mark on Sarah's face last time, I want to keep Kaelie's hands off her. Rather me than her. Plus I really could vaporize her on the spot if I wanted to, but that would have a) revealed my powers to Sarah, which I didn't want to do just yet, b) spark a lawsuit and another murder, in which I'd be the suspect and c) I'd never confirm if it was her committing those murders or leaving those clever little notes.

   "Do you?" She sticks her chin out, raising her eyebrows at us.

   "Sure. How have you been, Kaelie?" Trying to diffuse this situation is probably messing it up with both girls, and they're not even on the same side.

   "How do you think I've been? Seeing you with her, this little..."

   "Kaelie." I cut her off. I know exactly what she was about to say. "Be civil."

   "Little what, exactly?" I can tell Sarah's trying to keep her voice steady but there's a little bit of a waver at the end. Which means bad things. Very bad.

   "Well. She speaks." Kaelie says, immediately narrowing her eyes. "Thought you were just going to stand there."

   "I could tell you were going to insult me," Sarah says, stepping away from me, so now she's in Kaelie's firing range. Great. "So tell me what you were going to say."

   "Never mind." Kaelie curls her lip. "Your pure little ears probably haven't heard something like that."

   "You'd be a good match for my sisters, then." Sarah steps closer. Can't go back now. Someone's going to get hurt. "My ears aren't as pure as you think, Kaelie."

   "What makes you think I believe you, Campbell?" She spits her name in Sarah's face with a sneer. I hope I won't have to get between them.

    "Do you really want me to answer that question?" I can see Sarah's eye twitching, but other than that, she's holding her own pretty well.

   "What, once they get out of prison?" Kaelie says in a self-satisfied way, getting right in Sarah's face. "That's right, Campbell. You're not as flawless as you make yourself out to be."

   Sarah bites her lip, and something in her face changes. Suddenly she's not only angry, now she's hurt too. I decide this would be a good time to end things. I step between them, blocking Kaelie's view of Sarah.