14. Look What You Made Me Do

{Sarah}

We begin to get a little restless after no news. I hear Blue Bolt's name pop up a couple times, hearing that he stopped a criminal from running away from the bank with half a million dollars in his car, and that he's working alongside our local authorities to anticipate the mysterious killer's next move. Possibly even catch them in the act. At least he's been keeping busy. Better than I am, anyway–just sitting around waiting for something to happen.

   I see Cam very little throughout November. He tells me things are hectic at his house, with his older sister coming home from college for Thanksgiving, among other business. That's how I find myself staying over at Trevor's more often, partly because the situation with my mom has only improved marginally. It isn't much, but this time we're both making an effort. So I know it'll get better.

   That's also when Trevor invites me to have Thanksgiving dinner with his family. He's invited Kitty and the rest of her immediate family too.

   "I feel extending the invitation to you is only right, as my best friend," he says, while we're working through the study material for the last AP Government test before the break. "Bring your parents too. More the merrier, in my opinion."

   "I appreciate that, Trevor. I really do." Dad, Mom, and Victor will too. Mom hasn't cooked in forever, and Dad doesn't really know how. Victor and I have had to really fend for ourselves over the years. But again, it's all been good. We've managed, in other words.

   "I don't mean to pry, Campbell, but how's the thing with your mom going?"

   I shrug. Even though I'd tried to keep him updated it sounded nonchalant any way I phrased it. "It's going."

   "Hasn't improved, has it?" he says, more as a leading question and not interrogative.

   "To be honest..." I shake my head. "Not really. She's trying, but you know..."

   "Well." He gives me a smirk. "Maybe we can talk some sense into her."

   I widen my eyes at him. "Trevor, that's not a good idea."

   "Relax, Campbell." His smirk widens into a grin. "I was kidding."

   "Are you sure? It's hard to tell with you."

   He shakes his head, going back to his work. "Believe me, Campbell. You'd know."

≈≈

Our Thanksgiving break couldn't have come fast enough. On the last day before the break, I can barely concentrate. We've been doing nothing but working this past semester, and a nice five-day break is exactly what we need. I practically run from my last class.

   I meet Kitty on the way outside, and although she seems happy, something underneath is different. She chatters easily enough, but there's a certain tightness to it.

   "Kitty." I stop her when we've reached my car. "Something's bothering you. I can tell."

   "Really, Sarah. It's nothing you need to worry about."

   "You don't have to pretend you're fine. We've known each other long enough for that to be true." I press, knowing she'll crack easily.

   "You really want to know?" Kitty runs a hand through her curls, making them wilder. That's her tell–something's wrong, and it's been eating at her.

   I smile, crossing my arms and leaning against the hood of the car. "I have time. Break's started, you know."

   "Okay...well, I...I feel so odd because...Trevor wants me to meet his parents. Does that mean he wants us to be serious?" She shuffles her feet and her eyes shift restlessly.