Chapter 4 - A Summer Training Camp

I'm in Shiratorizawa Academy <3

---------------------------------------------------------

Behind every strong man
stands a woman supporting him

------------------

It was still dark when Ushijima got up to go for his morning jog, a routine that has started years ago. He enjoyed this time of the day. No soul was around, no cars in the way, it was dark and silent. Only one black cat stirred in the morning and of course the crows. They all sat on the power lines, huddled together, watching him with their beady eyes as he through the neighbourhood. He still had that moment of Hinata Shoyo stealing the ball playing through his head. And the setter who wanted to surpass Oikawa, Kageyama Tobio. Unconsciously he tried to make connections between both Kageyama's. One similarity stood out. Those eyes; resolve and motivation in those deep blue eyes. He remembered seeing them for the first time, how they had glown back then. Tamiko was a person he couldn't assess properly. She was so ordinary, nothing was special about her, yet there was something that made him feel free and peaceful in her presences. It had been over a year now since they have met, and he still believed that she kept things hidden from him. The fact that her brother played volleyball, which he didn't know before, proved this. Drowned in his own thoughts the time passed, the sun came up and other morning joggers appeared. He overtook them with his fast pace and soon finished his route and returned to the school. Some of the team members had already arrived in school yesterday in the late evening, others like Ushijima lived in the school dormitory. All were still sleeping when he had woken up. When he came back to the school he spotted a familiar small red car. The lights in the kitchen were also on and when he walked in, he saw Tamiko bend over the table, making onigiri. Not to disturb her, he silently walked over to the fridge and took something to drink.

"Good morning to you, too." she grumbled, not looking up from her work.

"Good morning." he replied and sat down.

He watched as she took the rice into her hands and formed them. Her hands were so small, and so were the onigiri. In turn, there were many of them. Some she filled with different things, others she left plain and simple. However, she ordered them, not to confuse them.

"Do you have a wish for dinner?" she asked him, without looking up.

"Hayashi rice." he told her.

"You always want hayashi rice." she noted.

"I like hayashi rice." he reminded her.

"I know you do." she smiled to herself.

"Will you make some?" he asked.

She paused to look up from her work and into his olive eyes. He in turn looked into those blue eyes again.

"Maybe, if you will be a gentleman and help me clean up today." she proposed.