Chapter 20 - A ballboy

The following Monday was shocking to everyone. Yamagata, somehow proudly, explained how Ushijima had fallen ill with a fever and was still bedridden. Ushijima was ill. An unbelievable thought. Even the teacher was not entirely convinced but after Yamagata explained how it had happened, all laughed and all was accepted. After lessons were over Tamiko walked to the dorms to pay the ill Wakatoshi a visit. He did look better than yesterday but was still coughing. He was quiet, hardly spoke, clutching to his tea. She didn't stay too long, patting his head before she left. She had to smirked when she left the dormitory. It was strange, he seemed smitten in her presence. Cute, she admitted. But she had to resist. He was an idiot after all. Why would she love an idiot? Then she froze in her step when her brother's face popped up in her mind. Idiot. She burst into laughter, bystanders glancing at her with confusion. She really was surrounded by idiots. The following day Ushijima was back in the lessons. They didn't speak, there was no need. It was on that Tuesday when Saitou approached Tamiko during lunch.

"Kageyama, we could use you for the Miyagi Prefecture First Year Intensive Training camp." he noted.

"Why does it have such a long name, Saitou-sensei?" she asked.

"I didn't name it." he laughed. "Are you able?"

"Yeah, sure. My brother was invited to the all-Japan youth training camp so I have nothing else to do."

"Doesn't surprise me. He was very impressive." he admitted.

"So what should I do?" she asked.

"We just need your eyes." he explained. "Analyze their habits. Like you do with the boys."

"Alright. And washing the bibs, filling water bottles?" she asked.

"The first years will be helping out." he told her.

He then gave her the details. That evening she didn't tell the boys that she was helping during the camp. They were already on a training routine of their own for that week since coach Washijo was going to lead the training camp. When she sat in her room, telling Izumi about the camp, a thought came to mind. Back in second year, after a month of helping the volleyball club, she had been given a coach suit of her own. She has denied it back then but it was still given to her. It was lying at the bottom of her wardrobe, still wrapped in its plastic packaging. Now it was lying on her bed and she examined it. Then she tried it on. It was a little tight around the chest but otherwise a perfect fit. I haven't grown since second year, she grimaced at her reflection. She folded the track suit and placed into her sports bag, unpacking her karate utilities first. The next morning lessons moved along as always. In the afternoon she got changed, ready for the training camp. She met up with Saitou, who was surprised to see her wear the tracksuit.

"It suits you." he smiled. "Now you really look like our manager."

They talked a little more when they were joined by another man. He looked a little similar to Saitou but his tracksuit gave him away.

"This is Anabara Takaai. He is the coach of Jouzenji high school." Saitou explained.

"Oh, the bouncy ones." Tamiko remembered.

"Yeah." the man laughed.

"Anabara-kun, this is Kageyama Tamiko, the part-time manager of our volleyball club." Saitou told him.

The two shook hands.

"Pleasure to meet you." he said.

"Likewise, Anabara-sensei." she smiled.

"Are you somehow related to Karasuno's #9? His name was also Kageyama, if I'm not mistaken." he asked.

"He is my younger brother." she confirmed and the man nodded.