Chapter 35 - A reconciliation

Cheers roared through the stadium after the referee blew his whistle. Tamiko smiled with pride as she watched her brother regroup with his winning team. Iwaizumi and Oikawa exchanged a few words about the game while Tamiko rested in her seat. Ushijima stayed quiet. Around them people began to migrate. Blue eyes watched the many faces pass while she held onto Ushijima's arm. Even he was looking around, with his usual demeanor. Tamiko closed her eyes for a moment, trying rest her body from the journey they had this morning. Traveling and then sitting in a packed stadium was tiresome for someone who wasn't used to it. Her companions certainly seemed to be. Next to her Oikawa moved.

"I think I need something to eat," Oikawa announced.

The setter stood along with his ace and he stretched his arms above his head. He was about to walk past the seats when Iwaizumi stopped him.

"Want to come with us?" he asked the couple. "There are still a few matches we could watch together."

Tamiko and Ushijima looked up to him and then exchanged glances between each other. On one hand she felt tired and just wanted to rest in the hotel but on the other hand she wanted to see all those teams she had never seen before. Ushijima also wanted to see more games. So they nodded without having exchanged any words.

"Sure," Tamiko smiled at them and stood as well.

Ushijima followed close behind her. The small group headed down to the lower floor, buying some lunch before going to watch the next game. Getting lunch was a daunting task, the queue at the food stands being very long. The young had a short discussion on who would pay. Originally Tamiko had offered him to pay but now that they had become a couple, Ushijima wanted to pay for it, the gentleman he was. Tamiko made a mental note that if she would ever meet his mother, she would thank him for raising him so well. With a smile she offered to buy the drinks while Ushijima payed for the food. To this he also agreed. Still, she made another mental note of packing lunch next time. While Ushijima and Iwaizumi waited in the queue to get the food, Tamiko and Oikawa went to the vending machines to get the drinks. It was a silent walk for the first part until Oikawa used the opportunity of them being alone to bombard her with questions.

"So, is he a good boyfriend?" he asked her as she fed the vending machine a few coins.

The coins produced a metallic clatter as they tumbled into the belly of the machine.

"Do you really need to bother me with this right now?" she countered with another question.

Her eyes were fixated on the choice of drinks, not gifting Oikawa any attention he was seeking at the moment.

"I just want to know if you are in good hands." he explained.

She glanced over to him and into his hopeful brown eyes.

"I am and I am happy with him," she grumbled and turned her attention back to the vending machine. "Now can you please drop it?"

"Just one more," he begged.

He clapped his hands together in prayer, his eyes big like a puppy's. To make it even worse he pushed his lower lip forward, looking like a terrible adult beggar turned toddler begging for candy. Tamiko raised her eyebrows and sighed, deciding that Ushijima would prefer a bottle of water while she chose a soft drink.

"Fine. What is it?" she asked while pressing a button for a drink.

He straightened and gazed down at her. Brown eyes grew a little darker than usual.

"Why him?" he asked her quietly.

There was a pregnant silence, which wasn't interrupted even as the low thud of the falling drinks in the vending machine sounded. Memories of that moment years ago flashed through her mind. That moment when he stopped her when she had picked up her brother. Oikawa had ignored the presence of her brother in that moment and straight out asked if she would go out with him. Now she realised that her answer from that time was still haunting him till this day. In retrospect, she felt sorry for him. She had no idea what her reply had done to him but it was already too late to apologize for that.