Chapter 43 - A forgotten past (Birthday Chapter)

"Let's go, Tobio," Tamiko urged. "We still need to buy groceries for dinner."

Tobio quickly came out of the gym, dropping to the ground to change his shoes. She hated to pick him up from volleyball practice. Not because she hated the gesture but because of a certain person she could cross paths with there. And sure enough, that certain person spotted her.

"Tami-chan," Oikawa called and waved.

Tamiko's face scrunched up when she heard his voice. Oh, how she hated it. It was far too melodic for a male voice. But she also hated his whole self. She nudged Tobio, urging him to hurry up before the captain of the volleyball team reached her. But it was too late. Oikawa already stood beside her.

"What's the hurry, Tami-chan?" he asked cheerfully.

"Go away," she muttered and kept her eyes on her brother.

"You are so mean, Tami-chan," he mumbled with a pout.

But Tamiko didn't give him the glory to enjoy her attention. Instead she helped Tobio to his feet and headed out of the door. With every step her short curls bounced and Oikawa gazed after her, her brother tagging close behind. She had only recently caught his attention ever since Tobio started to attend the volleyball club. She had picked him up for the first time, Oikawa had tried his charms but was brushed off. The more he tried the more she ignored him. And after a while it became an obsession to get to see her relaxed face, her smile, her attention. But he failed every time. On the other hand, it was a great entertainment for his peers.

"Tami-chan, Tami-chan," Matsukawa and Hanamaki mockingly repeated. "Please give me your attention Tami-chan."

Iwaizumi couldn't hold back his laughter and joined them. Although Oikawa didn't like being mocked, this was one he ignored. For him it was the strangest thing, to have interest in a girl for more that 10 minutes even when she ignored him. His friends thought the same. Iwaizumi had asked him many times if he was sick or something. But Oikawa had insisted everything was fine.

"That idiot is in so deep," Matsukawa joked. "I feel sorry for the girl."

The two boys agreed and got changed. Iwaizumi was even more sorry for the girl. They both went to the same class, so he knew her a little. They had done group work together and he had gotten the impression that she was anything but stupid. Kageyama Tamiko. She wasn't a popular beauty girl either. She just sat there and paid attention. It was a good thing that Oikawa was in that class. That would have made it very difficult. The next day Iwaizumi approaches her.

"Sorry about yesterday," he said. "That idiot doesn't know boundaries."

"He needs to worry, not you," she corrected him.

"Then I hope it looks spectacular," he grinned but then added. "I did talk to him about it but his skull is too thick to let anything through."

Tamiko smiled. Iwaizumi was the kind of guy who would be a true gentleman when he was an adult. He was also one of the guys whom she got along well with. They exchanged a few more words when their home room teacher walked in.

"Alright, kids." their teacher started. "Since the school year is almost over it is time to prepare. You each receive a list of high schools in the area. By the end of next week I want you all to decide which high school you want to go to."

When the lesson was over he handed out the papers. It was the start of lunch when the students began to discuss their dream high school.

"With my grades I really want to try to get into Shiratorizawa Academy." Izumi declared. "I bet there are a lot of rich boys there."