Chapter 50 - An Alliance

"Mr. Nobuteru," Tamiko carefully urged. "I know it's a difficult decision to make but I kinda have to go to my next appointment soon."

The Seijoh coach looked up from the sheet of paper which Tamiko had placed before him about 15 minutes ago. Her offer was intriguing but he wasn't sure how the boys from the team would react to it. From a coach perspective it was very logical to take up that offer. Since she had revealed herself to be the official manager of Shiratorizawa it made the offer even sweeter. The student before him seemed to sense his difficulty.

"Let me put it this way," she offered. "The third years would most likely jump at the opportunity to play against my boys one last time."

Nobuteru mirrored her smirk and reached for the pen. After he had signed it they shook hands, Tamiko mentioning that he wouldn't regret putting his signature on it. Then she headed to the next school on her list. All students had a day off lessons today since exams were over but that didn't mean that the clubs were resting. Many were preparing for the next season. Preparing for the next year of members. Preparing their advertisement for the next school year. Current captains were working in their successors and she even caught a quick glimpse of Oikawa doing that regrettable job. Her steps quickened before he could spot her.

It was strange being on the grounds of Aoba Johsai. She could've ended up in this school and many of her former classmates from middle school were still here. The boys from the volleyball club weren't the only ones. Izumi and her had been the outsiders, the only ones to go to Shiratorizawa. And she was glad. There weren't any big friendships that she lost.

When she reached her car she wasn't alone. Iwaizumi saw her when he returned from his jog. The ace was in the presence of Kentaro Kyotani, the second year who was presumably the next ace for the team. She remembered seeing him play. A good choice.

"Congrats on the court thing," Iwaizumi told her through the car window. "I'm glad you're all staying here."

"Thank you," she said and waved, telling him that she was running late.

The next school wasn't a challenge at all. She had already worked with coach Anabara before and he was more than eager to sign when she explained herself. He even introduced her to the team. Question after question was thrown at her. The boys from Johzenji were as bouncy as ever and Tamiko even exchanged a few words with their own manager. It turned out that she was a third year just like her. The captain's eyes lit up like fireworks when the coach revealed why she was there and he even voiced his excitement and support. Tamiko left with her heart swelled with pride.

It was already late in the afternoon when she dropped on her bed with a pile of paper, some signed and others rejected. But there was still a considerable number of signed sheets. Still dazed from the fact that she got so many signatures in the first place she stared at the ceiling and then began to smile. This was going to be the biggest surprise she could ever think of for the boys and now she could even set it in stone. Her brother also noticed her good mood.

"What made you so happy today?" he asked.

"Oh, nothing important," she grinned.

"Really? You look a little too happy."

When she turned to him he wore his sceptical look. Since he had just come back from training himself he was already showered and in joggers. He and his team were also preparing for next year. So was she.

"Just a little surprise for my boys," she told him. "If the coach agrees I can tell them tomorrow."

Satisfied with that answer he returned to whatever he was doing upstairs. It was then when her phone buzzed.