Chapter 12

The time of day was unknown to me when my eyes fluttered open. Paul's even breath hitting my ear, obvious that he was still asleep behind me. His arm was locked around my waist and my arms were intertwined in there somewhere. The cave was well illuminated by the sunrise and I could see why Paul loved coming here so much. From the little sunrise I could see the fire orange set a blaze to the forest of Washington and the ocean wasn't that far out so I could hear that as well. It was a rare time that there were no clouds in Forks, but then again, today felt very different than the others.

"Good morning," Paul whispered in my ear, sending chills down my spine.

I giggle and look back at him, turning around to face him, "Good morning, Paul."

He smiled down at me and stroked my face, then pain flashed across his face as he remembered why we fell asleep here last night. I put my hand on his cheek and gave a small smile. "Don't think about that right now, because today you get to tell me your secret."

Paul froze at this reminder and clenched his jaw, "I want to take you back home for that, with Sam around."

I furrow my brow, "Why? What difference does that make?"

He seemed to contemplate that for a few moments before answering carefully, "Given the circumstances, it would be better for others around."

I nod and rest my head on his chest, "Paul, you don't have to be afraid of showing me." The fear in his eyes was unmistakable as he looked over my head. "I'm not going to leave you ever again," I whisper to him, "Living the rest of my life without you is pointless."

Paul runs his fingers through my hair and cups my cheek, tilting my head up to meet his eyes, "I wouldn't say that until you've seen me."

I purse my lips, "I see you you now, you've changed so much Paul. You used to be so cocky and careless. Now you're so careful with every movement and I can see nothing but love in your eyes. You're so grown up."

Paul smiled and rested his head against mine, "Just hold onto that thought for me then."

Needless to say, I wasn't expecting this kind of secret. How could someone prepare for something like this? Paul was in a rush to get to Emily's place so he carried me while he ran through the woods. We drove my truck to their cottage with me snuggled against his side with his arm wrapped around my waist. I drifted in and out of sleep as it was still early. He squeezed my waist when we got there and stroked my cheek.

"Wake up darlin'," he whispered to me and kissed my forehead.

I sleepily opened my eyes and looked around, "I don't wanna get up."

Paul chuckled, "I know, and you'll get to sleep later when I take you home, how does that sound?"

"Mmm, Charlie's gonna be mad I wasn't home on time."

Paul stiffened, "I'll deal with that when the time comes," he promised. "Now come on, Emily's gonna have some coffee ready."

"Mmm," I whine, but get out of the car anyways. Paul chuckles and comes around to return his arm to my waist.

Emily saw us coming and opened the door for us, the smell of coffee wafted to my nostrils and I was instantly awake. She smirked and nodded to me as I looked questioningly to the coffee pot. I made a beeline for the coffee, beginning to make my favorite morning cup while Emily talked to Paul. 

"Hey guys! What are you doing here? The others aren't due for another hour, I don't have any food made up yet." she sounded apologetic.

"Hey Em," Paul kisses Emily's cheek, "Don't worry, I'm not hungry right now." This shocked me and Emily, Paul was always hungry. "I'm here to ask for Sam's help with . . . Elsa."