Chapter Ten

“Let’s make her some breakfast, hey?” Marissa replied, ushering Stefani out of her room and downstairs towards the kitchen.

“What does Demi like?” Stefani asked, peering into the refrigerator for something to jump out at her. She had no clue what Demi enjoyed eating.

“Well she always has a vanilla protein shake, usually followed by eggs or Yogurt with fruit.” Marissa replied specifically. Stefani grabbed out the rice milk, ice cubes and yogurt, placing them on the bench before searching through the kitchen cupboards for the protein powder and shaker.

“It’s pink!” Stefani exclaimed when she found the protein shaker which was clear with a hot pink lid. Marissa smiled. “How do you make this stuff?” Stefani questioned, looking at all of the ingredients as though it was completely foreign to her.

“Well first, you put a scoop of powder into the shaker, and then top it up with the milk and ice cubes.” Marissa replied with a smile. “Like this” She said, showing Stefani the art of making a protein shake.

Stefani chopped up some fresh apples and strawberries while Marissa shook the protein shake up and down until her arm was about to drop off. “Looks like hard work” Stefani giggled, witnessing Marissa’s arm begin to fatigue.

“It is!” Marissa replied in an exaggerated manner. “Wanna give it a go?”

Stefani shook her head, she wasn’t quite up to any physical activity like that. “I’ll pass” She replied as she scooped some Yogurt into the bottom of a deep bowl, decorating it with fruit. “Perfect” She said, showing Marissa the finished product.

“Looks great kiddo” Marissa said with two thumbs up.

“Hello, hello” Demi’s familiar voice chimed as she entered the kitchen. Her hair looked like a blue birds nest.

“OMG” Marissa laughed, snapping a photo of Demi’s hair with her Iphone. “Instagram that shit” She giggled with an evil tone.

Stefani walked over to Demi and began to comb through her hair with her fingers. “There we go” She said sweetly. “Much better!”

“Thanks sweetheart. Did you have a good sleep?” Demi asked, completely oblivious to all the drama that unfolded throughout the night.

Stefani’s eyes darted quickly to Marissa as she nodded to Demi in reply. “Yeah, woke up early though” She replied with a fake yawn. “We made you breakfast!” She added, changing the topic.

“Awhhhh” Demi cooed, kissing Stefani on the forehead sweetly. “Thank you guys”

“Here’s ya shake” Marissa said, handing Stefani Demi’s much beloved protein formula.

“Thanks!” Demi giggled as she took a sip. “Perfect as per usual.”

Stefani went to escape to the living room to watch TV, but was stopped in her tracks. Damnit, she thought to herself. “Have you had breakfast, Missy?” Demi asked, raising one eyebrow.

Stefani so badly wanted to lie and say yes, but she could feel Marissa’s death stare beaming through her body. “No” She said truthfully, turning to face Demi.

Demi jumped up from out of her chair, grabbing a fresh glass from the dishwasher. She brought it over to the kitchen counter and carefully opened her protein shake, emptying half of it into the glass. Stefani felt like running out of the front door as fast as she could run, and not look back.

“Start with this” Demi insisted, making Stefani grab the glass of banana coloured milk. It. Looked.Like.Puke!

Stefani took a sip as Demi chopped up a banana and some strawberries. “I know dairy doesn’t sit well with you…” Demi said, not looking away from the chopping board. “Do you want some fruit and granola with some rice milk?”