Book 7⌇13. Watch Your Mouth

Chapter 13 ∣  Watch Your Mouth

-Harlan

Icarus sat on the couch across from the TV in his apartment, myself having found a very comfortable recliner that I was enjoying. Apart from the sideways glance he offered me every so often, it was quiet, just the sounds of the TV to fill the awkward space between us.

Isis thought it would be a marvelous idea to go and speak with her friend that was also currently on an assignment.

Don't know what this world is coming to, but I'm glad we won't be here forever.

Oh, and where would our lovely mate go? She can't exactly follow us into Hell, now can she.

Whatever.

That's what I thought.

It was going to be tricky because if Isis did accept me, I don't know where that would leave us aside from living on Earth. She can't very well bath in the flames of Hell and I don't necessarily want to earn my wings for being a good little boy trying to get into Heaven.

I let out a heavy sigh and Icarus immediately turned in my direction before he asked, "Something wrong...demon?"

"Humans are boring," I watched as he just let out his own sigh of annoyance before returning his gaze back to the TV.

The silence ensued between us once again and I finally stated, "There must be something so fascinating with spending your free time watching TV...like you don't have anything better to do?"

Icarus lifted the remote and turned off the TV. His eyes met with mine again and he replied, "I like numbing my brain with mindless crap to escape from this world of demons, angels, shifters, whatever, you name it. I'm so sick of this world being inhabited as it is!"

"Awe, I didn't realize you loved us so much!" I exclaimed and then chuckled at his irrigated expression. I threw my hands up and continued, "Fine, fine, I can take a hint you'd love to see me rotting in Hell...but even that wouldn't happen. I was more curious as to why you aren't spending more time finalizing your virus to wipe out the vampire population. Isn't that important to you?"

"Of course, it is," he quickly replied, "I just can't focus..."

I sat up straighter in the recliner and mentioned, "Ah, the witch."

"What about Ayanna?" Icarus quickly became defensive, his grip on the remote loosening so he could set it on the arm of the couch. I had his full attention after mentioning his little love interest.

"She's distracting you, isn't she?" I tilted my head to the side and watched his features change just slightly and I smirked, "if you have an interest in her, why are you holding yourself back?"

Icarus paused for a brief second before he said, "She could get hurt."

"Anyone can get hurt and the shit you all are involved in just makes you much easier targets. That shouldn't stop you from pursuing her, maybe not going out for drinks in the open like that, but inviting her over here might be safer," I suggested, not wanting to have another run-in with hunters for that matter.

Icarus narrowed his eyes and scoffed, "I'm not inviting her over here so you can seduce her."

"Awe, so I guess a foursome is out of the question, huh?" I chuckled darkly as he just continued to glare at me with so much disdain. I knew he didn't like me, but it really was so much fun pushing his buttons when Isis wasn't around to keep me in line. I'm only being nice for her sake, to win her heart and gain her love and trust...the human is just the baggage I got stuck with momentarily.