{3} "Break Your Heart"

Pulling into the pack lands, I felt the wave of energy emitting from the members; anguish was the overall feeling. My eyes more alert I study the trees blurring past us until they start to thin out being replaced by houses, until neighborhoods form. Those slowly shift into shops, a small community hidden within their pack lands away from prying human eyes. We slow down once entering the paved road amongst the shops careful of darting children and following mothers, all their curious eyes watching the truck until the shops faded away and the paved road went back to dirt. A few more minutes passed until finally the pack house comes into sight.

A small group stood on the large porch, all seemingly waiting for myself and Gabe. Their pack must've alerted them of our arrival, as the late Luna stood next to the Beta Mark and the third Beck. A fourth man stood there, his gaze concentrated on the truck as Gabe slowed to a stop in the driveway before putting the truck into park. The engine stops as he removed the keys, looking over to me for instructions.

"Alright. While I meet with Leah and the new alpha have Mark or Beck take you to check the perimeter. See if you can pick up any rogue scents." My words were soft so that even in the truck only Gabe could hear me.

"Yes ma'am." With a nod my way he opens up his door and hops out. I follow his lead and slide out of the truck, my heeled feet landing on the solid ground. My eyes flicker over my shoulder before turning to face the group, my gaze landing first on Leah her strawberry blonde hair pulled up into a messy bun with a few pieces falling. Her usual kind brown eyes were dull, with bags framing said eyes. The way she stood, shoulders slumped, arms wrapped around her middle in a stance of vulnerability, trying to defend herself even when seemingly in no danger. However, losing a mate you'd feel like having to defend yourself from the world and your own mind to keep from self destructing.

"Diana?" Her words were soft, delicate eyes scanning over my frame almost seeming afraid of taking a chance in seeking comfort from an old friend. Leah used to be in the pack but after meeting Rick she moved to be his Luna; their relationship was so new they hadn't even conceived an heir to the pack.

"Leah." I reply softly taking a single step in her direction. That step seemed to be all it took as she was running in my direction, the slippers she wore falling off her feet in her hurry to reach me. I open my arms and meet her embrace, cradling the woman who looked so lost. Her sobs filled my ears and tore at my heart as I held the woman tightly. "I am so sorry Leah." My whispered words were meant for both the lost of her mate but also for my lack of attendance at his funeral. "We had Hunters show up in Arizona, and I had no one to go for me." I explain, fighting back my own tears for my friend who deserved so much more.

"It's okay. I know you would've come if you could." Her voice was soft, a little raspy from her tears but still we pull away, she wiping her tears and me looking at the tear stain on my shirt. Sending her a wryly smile which she sheepishly returns, I straighten up and scan her up and down. "You need to sleep Leah. And looks like eat." I say seriously, I knew she was hurting but she needed to take care of herself. "Rick wouldn't want you to wither away so young. You know that." My words seem to strike a chord in her as her lip and chin begin to quiver once more.

"I know." She breathes out, before straightening her own back before motioning for me to follow. I watch a she grabs her slippers slipping them back in her feet before continuing the walk to where the three men had stood patiently waiting for ya to say out hellos. I heard footsteps behind me and I knew Gabe was right in me heels, his large frame casting an intimidating shadow over my own as he silently took his position at my side once reaching the group of men.

"Beta Mark, Delta Beck," I acknowledge with a small tilt of my head. Studying their gazes I could see the grief and stress this situation has caused them. "I'm sorry for all of your losses. This pack didn't deserve this kind of evil." It was my way of apologizing for not being able to predict and stop this mess, but without the Oracle it's been harder to track our enemies down and stop them appropriately.