The Surgeon 12

I look into Kade's eyes

I look into Kade's eyes. His pupils are large and dilated; his eyeballs dart from left to right like they're trying to speak.

I reassure him, "I'm here, Kade – I'll think of something to get us out of this, trust me..." Charlotte shuts me up with a punch that blurs me.

Holy fuck, that stung and stunned me. I can't afford to have another smack like that, not when I can't defend myself. Those testosterone shots have given her incredible strength?

......

The ambulance men lift and lower Kade's catatonic body into the coffin; securing the lid with side locks.

I notice it's bolted to the floor.

......

The side of my face is hot and I can feel it pulse and swell from Charlotte's smack; but my mind is clear and focused on self-preservation. I must remain quiet and compliant in order to survive and save Kade.

I have not given up – not yet.

Bare with me folks.

......

"Who did this to you?" asks The Surgeon while examining the side of my face.

"I did," answers Charlotte, before I have time to open my mouth.

The Surgeon looks at her with disapproving eyes, "Who gave you permission to strike him?"

She referred to me as 'him!'

Charlotte seems sheepish and unsure, she answers with a soft voice, "I did it because she was communicating with Kade."

The Surgeon isn't happy, "I do not condone violence of any kind, Charlotte. Your role as a chaperone is to ensure Brigitte and Thomas come to no harm during the journey, yet you've already harmed one of them – Leave!" She commands, with a hard emphasis on the last word.

"Charlotte looks shocked, "But I..."

"GET OUT!" screams The Surgeon, with a frightening fuel to her voice.

Charlotte scurries for the exit, her head bowed.

What a butch bitch!

......

The Surgeon checks on Brogan/Brigitte, "Are you OK, darling?" she asks. His words are still slurred and druggy, "Yes, is my baby ready to come?"

"No, sweetheart. We still have a long way to go, but you and baby are doing real good. We just need to get you home, where we have the very best facilities to look after you," she says, while stroking his blonde hair extensions.

It's the weirdest sight, ever.

......

I hear The Surgeon open a small cabinet above Brogan/Brigitte's head. I remain focused on the floor, not wanting to look up or make eye contact.