A Glimpse Into The Future

"In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." she softly said, raising her palm to rest against his cheek, his stubble leaving small tingles on her frozen limb.

"Now you're quoting Buddha?" he chuckled sadly, his eyes brimming with tears. Never before had he felt so vulnerable, even though it wasn't him lying on a hospital bed.

"Yeah..." she admitted, a small smile on her face. She took in his appearance, his beautiful green eyes that held so much pain, the raven hair on his head, the leather jacket that had kept her warm. "That's what I'm doing. I'm letting you go." she whispered, caressing his face with such affection it almost broke him right then and there. "You deserve to live Derek, without me."

The young wolf growled in frustration, tears finally rolling down his cheeks. He clutched the hand that was caressing his face and left small kisses along its knuckles. It was cold. Colder than it should be.

"What if I don't want you to let me go?" He argued, looking straight at the girl's eyes, desperation filling his voice. "Don't give up Tessa. You can't. They need you." He pleaded, now clutching both of her small hand within his, hoping that his warmth can somehow mend her. "I need you."

Tessa freed one of her hands from his hold, and reached to wipe Derek's tears with her thumb. Bringing his face closer, she rested her forehead against his. She could feel Derek trying to take away her pain, but she didn't feel any. She had come to terms with her fate... And she was ready to go down in her terms.

"I'm sorry. I love you."