Chapter 8: Currents

It was a warm September evening in Beacon Hills when three friends got together once more to have a conversation that would shift their relationship entirely. The young brunette was sitting on one of the couches in her living room, her feet underneath her, her fingers playing nervously with the long sleeves of her sweater. In front of her, her best friends, looking as uncomfortable as they could, sitting stiffly on the couch across from hers.

''Okay...'' Tessa sighed, straightening her posture. ''For you to understand this, I need you to listen to the entire story. From the very beginning. And I need you to try and interrupt me as few times as possible.''

''Look Tessa...'' Scott started, but was quickly interrupted by his friend.

''Please Scotty.'' she insisted. ''You deserve to know everything. I promise all your questions will be answered once you hear the entire thing. After that, you can decide what to do with all the information.''

''Yes but...''

''Just, let her talk. She's right.'' Stiles insisted, effectively shutting up his best friend.

''Okay. Um...'' mumbled Tessa, scrunching her nose to focus on where to start her story. ''Oh, I got this!'' she exclaimed a little too happily but her mood turned sour once again when she realized the situation they were all in. ''It all started at the end of freshman year, when we decided to head out to the preserve on our bikes. It was before Stiles got his license so we couldn't really take Roscoe, and instead, we opted to take our bikes.''

''Yeah, I remember.'' muttered Stiles, a hint of annoyance in his voice. ''You two scared the crap out of me pretending to be murderers running around in the forest!''

''How's that for foreshadowing?'' Scott mumbled under his breath and Tessa couldn't help the sarcastic chuckle that escaped her lips.

''That was pretty fun actually.'' she muttered before continuing. ''Anyway, if you guys remember, on our way back, the chain on my bike broke and I kind of face planted on the ground.''

''Remember?'' asked Stiles before shivering. ''I still feel squeamish remembering the blood oozing from your face.''

''Oh, it was just a cut you wuss.'' Tessa snapped playfully and her friend offered her a small smile in return. ''You guys took me to the hospital where Melissa stitched me up. I was all ready to go but I was feeling a little bit dizzy so your mom insisted the doctor requested a CT to make sure I didn't have a concussion. That was when I found out about the tumors.''

''Tumors?'' asked Scott, his eyes widening in shock.

''Yes, multiple ones. I don't exactly do things half way.'' Tessa muttered darkly. ''When my dad got the news he immediately began the search for the best doctors in the country and found Doc. Sherwood over at New York.''