Chapter 15: More Bad Than Good

"Here's where we found the den. It's right in the middle of the hiking trails." explained Stiles.

Class hadn't started yet, so their little group had some time to question Allison about the missing girl that apparently has been living in the woods as a coyote for the past eight years.

Tessa however, could barely concentrate on the task at hand. She was lost in her thoughts. From Morgana and the search for Excalibur, to Braeden hopefully succeeding at rescuing Derek, to her mini life crisis — she wasn't really much of a help with the whole coyote situation.

"Well, that could narrow it down." hummed Allison. "Coyotes travel in fixed trails. But I think you're right about her not going back to the den. Coyotes don't like wolves. And they're really smart. If they don't want to be heard, they actually walk on their toes."

"Coyotes tip-toe?" wondered Stiles, a dumbfounded look on his face.

Tessa snorted and smacked the back of his head. "That's what you're finding hard to believe?"

"They tip-toe." chuckled Allison softly as the bell rang. "I got to go, but send me the pinned location." she instructed, leaving the room to head to her first class.

"Okay."

Tessa and Stiles were quick to sit down on their desks, with Tessa right behind her friend. Scott however, was distracted by the appearance of their new classmate, Kira.

"Hey. I'm Kira." the girl muttered awkwardly and Tessa inwardly chuckled. "You knew that. I knew you knew that. I don't know why I just told you that again. Anyway, I have something for you."

Tessa had become quite invested at the pair of awkward teenagers, and didn't notice Stiles turning around to face her.

"Are we eavesdropping?" he whispered to her ear.

"Only a little." Tessa shrugged with an amused grin. "They're both so awkward it's fascinating."

"For me?" grinned Scott, resembling a small puppy.

"Yeah. About the bardo. My explanation was sort of all over the place, so I did some research and I printed it out for you."

"Ah, you didn't have to do that."

"It only took a couple of hours."

"Wow. Then you really didn't have to do that." insisted Scott as Kira searched through her bag for the research.

"I swear I printed it out." she promised, just as her dad approached her, a handful of papers in his hand.

"Kira." said the professor, effectively gaining his daughter's attention. "You forgot all the research you did for that boy you like." he stated, handing Kira a stack of papers as the girl's face turned bright red. "All right, everyone. Let's get started."

Tessa sniffled her chuckles at the awkward encounter. Kira was a breath of fresh air in her anxiety packed life. It was rather funny to see Scott being awkward with a girl. It almost felt like they were living normal lives — even for just one moment.

Tessa could clearly see Kira was traumatised by the experience. Her face still flushed, she had crouched down in her chair, trying to avoid all of her classmates gazes. The DeMorgan chuckled, and tapped on Kira's shoulder to gain her attention.

Kira only hummed in response, but eventually lifted her head from her hands to face the young wicken.

Tessa offered a sympathetic smile. "Last guy I liked, he'd constantly come to me right after spending 'quality time' with our English teacher. Did I mention he's my best friend's brother?"