The Slap and Worrying Superheroes || Chapter 34 ||

My body froze and my blood ran cold. Had she seen Adrien transform into Chat Noir? Or did she just see the kiss between the two of us? She must've taken my silence as conformation as her grin stretched wider, causing goose bumps to raise on my skin.

"It's okay, I'll keep you little secret. I won't let your little soulmate know. I mean, where's the fun in that?" she asked seductively. I relaxed greatly, knowing that she thought Chat and Adrien were different people.

Again, she must've thought I was relieved that she'd keep my "secret". I just wanted to go home and crawl into my bed, pretending that this conversation never happened. Pretending that I'd never met Mon Papillon or caught her attention because of my connection to Chat Noir.

This was exactly what I had feared would happen. I'd become a pawn against Chat, a weak spot. Something I never wanted to be. I knew enough about superheroes and their secret identities, to know that I've been an idiot. I shouldn't have thrown myself in the middle if I didn't want this outcome.

"You're awfully quiet, sweetie. Is something bothering you?" she asked, arching a perfect eyebrow. I narrowed my eyebrows at her slightly, showing some of my irritation. She placed a delicate hand on her small hip, sticking it out with a little attitude.

"Truthfully, you're bothering me" I spoke honestly. Within seconds there was a slap to my face. My head turned with the strength of it and I stretched my jaw out, surprised by the action. It stung a lot but I tried my best not to give her the satisfaction of knowing.

"I said I liked your fire. That doesn't mean you get to speak to me like that" she spoke in a monotone voice, making it known that speaking out again would not be accepted. I gave a firm nod, saying that I understood.

A fake, overly sweet smiled plastered on her face and her eyes lit up before she clasped her hands together and cooed slightly.

"I knew you'd understand. Oh, I think you and I would be great friends if you weren't hitting that kitty" she almost squealed while winking. But her face smoothed out and she stood up straight before speaking. "I'll see you again soon, love."

The whole walk home I was stretching out my jaw, still feeling the sting from that slap. At least we now know that she has an incredibly short fuse. I walked through the front door and sighed, finally feeling somewhat safe.

"What happened to your lip?" Marie asked, leaning against the kitchen door frame. I touched my lip and felt the smallest of splits. Oh. Apparently, I was hit harder than expected. I guess she got her payback for that ugly bruise I left her with.

"Oh, it must've happened when I walked into that pole" I said, giving her a sheepish grin, and scratched the back of my neck nervously. I really wanted to keep this life away from my family. Just because this was my life now, doesn't mean it needs to be their's.

She nodded and gestured towards the stairs, allowing me to go to my room. I immediately closed my door and dived into my bed, taking comfort in the many pillows and blankets. I sighed happily before my phone started ringing. I groaned my pulled my phone from my pocket and answering it.

"Hello?"

"Girl, where are you?"

"Home. Why? Is something up?"

"Yes, I found Ladybug and Chat Noir and told them that this weird crazy girl was full harassing you and they both just freaked out. Who is she?"

"Someone that Paris doesn't want to meet. Please, just trust me on that, Alya"

"Alright, but are you okay?"

"Never better. Look I gotta go. I'll see you at school"

I hung up and placed my phone on my bedside table before rubbing my hand over my face, making sure not to irritate my lip too much.

A light knock on my window caught my attention and I panicked, thinking it was Mon Papillon. With wide eyes, I looked over to see a concerned Ladybug and Chat Noir. I jumped up and unlocked my window, allowing them both in.

Chat cupped my face, spotting the split lip instantly. His eyebrows furrowed before softly stroking it. Ladybug watched curiously before clearing her throat. I looked over to her and smiled, bowing my head slightly.

"We heard from Alya that you were with Mon Papillon. What did she want?" The girl in red asked. I nervously looked at Chat before turning back to the female superhero.

"She plans to use me against you. Thinks I'm a weak spot" I stated, knowing it was true. At least with Chat. Ladybug seemed surprised but slightly mad. Chat well he seemed oddly quiet. Ladybug looked contemplative but apparently decided she didn't want to ask the question floating around inside her head.

"How'd you get that?" she asked softly, pointing to my injured top lip. I pouted, upset with myself for speaking against her.

I never wanted any of this to happen. My life in Paris has been crazy, not all bad but definitely crazy. Superheroes, villains, and soulmates is a lot for one person to deal with. But here I am, a fifteen year old girl dealing with all of it.

"Mon Papillon has a really short fuse. I wouldn't speak out against her, she doesn't exactly like it" I said, lightly touching the cut. Ladybug gave me a sad smile before both her's and Chat's miraculous' beeped signalling that it was their time to leave.

I gave them a small smile, letting them know it was okay to go. Ladybug gave me a grateful smile before leaving out my window. I turned to Chat who had a frown on his face. His hands hovered near my face before pulling me in for a hug.

"No one's gonna hurt you again, love." he spoke softly into my hair and I smiled sadly, pulling away from his arms. I wish those words could be more comforting but truthfully, they were not. I slumped my shoulders but looked into his cat-like eyes.

"You really shouldn't make promises you can't keep. We both know I'll always be a target" I said sadly, but we both knew it was true. And the truth wasn't always pretty.

"I never wanted this life for you" he said, furrowing his eyebrows, and looking annoyed at himself. I grabbed his face and pulled his face down towards mine so we were eye level.

"It may not be ideal but I will not give you up for anything. Not ever, Chaton" I whispered against his lips before closing the distance until his ring beeped once more. He sighed and I chuckled lightly before pushing him towards my window.

"I love you, beau." and then he was gone.