Smart and Beautiful

Derek's pov
"Yeah, I see it. Two bands, right?" I asked looking at Scotts 'invisible' tattoo. 

"Yeah." Scott confirmed.

"What does it mean?" I asked.

"I dunno. It's just something I traced with my fingers."

"Why's it so important to you?"

"Do you know what the word tattoo means?"

"To mark something." Stiles says entering the conversation.

"That's in Tahitian. In Samoan it means Open Wound. I knew I wanted to get a tattoo when I turned eighteen. I always wanted one. I just decided to get it now to make it kind of a reward." Scott said.

"For what?" I asked

"For not calling or texting Allison all summer. Even when I really wanted to. Even when it was so hard not to sometimes. I was trying to give her the space she wants. Now I'm four months later, it still hurts. Still feels like a, uh..."

"Like an open wound." Stiles finished for Scott.

"Yeah."

"Pain's gonna be worse than anything you've ever felt." I warned.

"Do it." Scott stated firmly as I turned on the blowtorch

"Oh. Wow. That's- that's a lot for me. So. I'm gonna take that as my cue. I'll - I'm actually gonna wait outside." Stiles stuttered.

"Nope. Need help holdin him down."

Scotts pov
"It worked." I said as I woke up after blacking out and looked down at my arm

"Well. Looks pretty damn permanent now." Stiles sighed

"Yeah. Kinda need something permanent. Everything that's happened to us. Everything just changes so fast. Everything's so, uh... ephemeral." I said

"Studying for the PSATs?" Stiles asked at my choice of words.

"Yep."

"Nice."

"You painted the door. Why'd you paint the door?" I asked as we walked out the door.

"Go home, Scott." Derek ordered

"Why only one side?" I asked before scratching the paint off.  "The birds at school. The deer last night. Just like the deer when I got bit by the alpha. How many are there?"

"A pack of 'em. An alpha pack." Derek said

"All of them? How does that even work?" Stiles asked.

"I hear there's some kind of a leader. He's called Deucalion."

Braedens pov
"Beautiful. But defiant, aren't you?"  Deucalion taunted as the alphas caught up to me in the boys locker room.

"Because I know something. I know you're afraid of him."

"Of a teenaged boy?"

"Of the man he'll become."

"I'm aware of a certain potential threat. But then someone once taught me a very smart way to eliminate threat. Get someone else to do it for you."